Another Non-Fact Fact Check

Guess who?

Politifact. Jared Bernstein caught a doozy from their fact-check of last night’s State of the Union.

The president:

“In the last 22 months, businesses have created more than three million jobs. Last year, they created the most jobs since 2005.”

Politifact said this was “false.” Only, it wasn’t false. It was absolutely true. They’re reasoning?

In his remarks, Obama described the damage to the economy, including losing millions of jobs “before our policies were in full effect.” Then he describe [sic!] the subsequent job increases, essentially taking credit for the job growth. But labor economists tell us that no mayor or governor or president deserves all the claim or all the credit for changes in employment.

Okay, but the job creation is factual — not “false.” Who takes credit is a matter of political semantics. Presidents always take credit for solid economic growth and job creation.

Look, this isn’t about partisanship. When they blow the whistle on the president and their assessment holds up, great. But more often, Politifact is really stretching the bounds of fact-checking so they can seem more even-handed. It’s a self-conscious reaction to accusations of bias and, therefore, it’s inherently inaccurate.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in President Obama and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • BuffaloBuckeye

    A “make-up” call by Politifact results in a blown call. It doesn’t work in sports, it doesn’t work in real lfe.

  • cynical1

    “They’re reasoning? [sic!]”

    funny to see that so close to your [sic!]

    • Dan_in_DE

      Good catch, cynical1. Politfact (those relativistic butt-monkeys!) made a typo. Whereas Bob commited a grammatical error. Arguably more egregious.

  • Camel54

    Buy their logic, no one can be applauded or blamed for anything since nothing is done strictly by one person…well, except maybe one thing, but you know what I mean.

  • eljefejeff

    this is just the beginning. looks like they’re going the way of CNN.

  • G Thomas

    The statement is 100 percent true. He didn’t say, “I the President created these jobs.” He said businesses did. What kind of Cracker Jack outfit is Politifact?

  • mrbrink

    I’m getting so sick of their bullshit.

  • i_a_c

    How dare this president take credit for the stimulus program, which every reputable analysis agrees created millions of jobs! The audacity!

  • http://twitter.com/KQuark KQµårk™

    So when Republicans attack him for not creating enough jobs that’s a lie to, but I doubt they would say that. Every president is measured on how his policy affect the economy. This is a complete joke.

  • Bryan White

    Bob Cesca wrote:

    “Politifact said this was “false.’”

    Did PolitiFact say it was false? Fact check thyself.

    • raistuumum

      So they said “half-true”. So what? Their reasoning’s still petty.

      • West_of_the_Cascades

        Their reasoning is worthless, BUT if you’re posting about “fact checking” it’s reasonable to also cite the statement accurately.

        Although saying that Politifact said it is “false” when they actually said it was “half-true” may actually be an ironic meta-commentary on Politifact’s worthlessness (and sloppiness).

  • Lexamich

    The corporatocracy i.e. establishment media has gotten to them.

    Ignore their “both sides” bullshit.

  • Lexamich

    The corporatocracy i.e. establishment media has gotten to them.

    The more television and such cite their “fact-checking,” the more they cling to undermine messages from the Democratic Party.

    SCIENCE!

    Ignore the “both sides” bullshit and learn for yourselves.