Birtherism Still Won’t Die

A group of New Hampshire Republican state representatives, lead by Rep. Laurence Rappaport, filed a request with the state attorney general today to investigate whether or not President Obama is a citizen.

A small group of New Hampshire lawmakers and others want the attorney general to investigate whether President Barack Obama deserves to be on the presidential primary ballot.

State Rep. Laurence Rappaport, a Colebook Republican, said they asked the attorney general Tuesday to investigate, but have gotten no response. Rappaport said the issue is whether Obama is a natural-born citizen whose parents both were American citizens. [...]

Democratic Party Chairman Ray Buckley said it’s another example of how “crazy town” has taken over the Statehouse.

Birtherism may never die. Not after the mainstream of the Republican party spent two full years winking, nodding, and dogwhistling whenever the subject came up.

It’s their bed and they will sleep in it from now until the time President Obama leaves office.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Wingnuts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://rob.yurkowski.net/ Rob Yurkowski

    It’s a mimetic attempt to give President Obama’s presidency the same illegitimacy that Bush v. Gore gave President Bush’s first term, I think.

  • D_C_Wilson

    No, birtherism will never die. Even when they decry it, the GOP still give it a wink. Anything to continue portraying Obama as some kind of alien.

    Speaking of which:

    White House Denies CIA Teleported Obama to Mars

    • JMAshby

      I imagine they were laughing their asses off while issuing that denial.

      Unfreaking real. These people are candidates for fucking straight jackets.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    The Birthers™ have moved the goalposts, from the now thoroughly debunked born-in-Kenya phase to the both-parents-must-be-U.S.-citizens phase. Since everyone agrees that Obama’s father was not a U.S. citizen, it doesn’t matter where he was born if the Constitution requires that both parents be natural-born citizens for the child to be a natural-born citizen. I’ve had birthers insist that this is the case, and tell me to “read the Constitution!!” to prove it.

    Of course, the Constitution says no such thing; the Articles do not define what a “natural-born citizen” is, and the 14th Amendment only says that certain people are citizens, not natural-born citizens. The text of the constitution is completely silent on this question. (So much for the Constitution telling us “everything we need to know.”)

    Since the Constitution does not tell us what a “natural-born citizen” is, we have to look to the law. There is simply no requirement in law that a citizen is only “natural-born” if both of his parents were U.S. citizens, let alone if both parents were “natural-born citizens” . No matter how many people believe that is the law or that it should be the law, it is not the law.

    • muselet

      Birfers have not just moved the goalposts, they’ve mounted the goalposts on wheels to make moving them easier.

      I figure there may be one more weird, pointless phase to go before the birfers loop back to the beginning and start howling that Barack Obama was born in Kenya again. They’re not especially clever people, after all.

      Some have still haven’t give up Kenyan birth angle. Just take a stroll down to World Nut Daily where they still think his birth certificate is a forgery.

      But moving on to the “both parents must be citizens” rule does make some sense strategically speaking. It doesn’t require any imaginary facts, just imaginary laws. All they have to do is believe that if they wish really, really hard, they’ll find a judge who will take their claims seriously. Kind of like the tax protesters who keep believing that they can convince a judge that the 16th amendment was never really ratified.

  • http://www.broadwaycarl.com Broadway Carl

    Rappaport said the issue is whether Obama is a natural-born citizen whose parents both were American citizens. [...]

    They obviously don’t know what “natural-born citizen” means.

    From Wikipedia: “The Congressional Research Service has stated that the weight of scholarly legal and historical opinion indicates that the term means one who is entitled under the Constitution or laws of the United States to U.S. citizenship “at birth” or “by birth,” including any child born “in” the United States (other than to foreign diplomats serving their country), the children of United States citizens born abroad, and those born abroad of one citizen parent who has met U.S. residency requirements.”

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural-born-citizen_clause_of_the_U.S._Constitution

    So, even if President Obama were born of FOREIGN PARENTS in Hawaii, he’s still a citizen. But hey, if this is what they want to waste their time on…

  • villemar

    Fuck these bucktoothed inbred Neoconfederate radical right-wing extremist America-hating backwards-assed Klan fucks.

    • Plugger

      I admire your sentiment, but I prefer to omit taking it literally.

  • 1933john

    It will never die because he is non-white, what ever the fuck that is, it’s as simple as that.

  • afarkas

    Just got my new Obama coffee mug in the mail–it sports his smiling face with the words “Made in the USA” underneath. The back side of the mug features his birth certificate. LOVE it!!! What other president would have such a sense of humor about a personal attack that he would make fun of it on a coffee mug???