Mitch McConnell is a Lying Liar

Did you know President Obama received everything he wanted during his first two years in office, and that there was absolutely no Republican obstruction, Blue Dogs, or excessive use of the filibuster?

That’s not exactly how I remember it, but that’s exactly what Mitch McConnell is selling.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) has embraced the argument that President Obama was able to pass every bit of his legislative agenda in his first two years thanks to large Democratic majorities in both houses of Congress. It’s intended as a counterpoint to the President’s re-election strategy of attacking the congressional GOP as do-nothing obstructionists. But it’s also a revisionist history of the 111th Congress, during which McConnell more than any other Republican in Washington stood athwart Obama’s agenda to great effect.

The White House has “been trying to pretend like the President just showed up yesterday, just got sworn in and started fresh,” McConnell declared Sunday on CNN’s State of the Union. “In fact, he’s been in office for three years. He got everything he wanted from a completely compliant Congress for two of those three years… We are living in the Obama economy.”

Right. A completely compliant congress that featured a Democratic majority for a whopping 5 months which included Blue Dogs and the likes of Joe Lieberman.

The president was lucky to find bipartisan support within his own party to pass healthcare reform, and taxes didn’t go up because there wasn’t enough votes to bypass the filibuster.

Mitch McConnell is many things, but he’s not stupid. He knows what he said is complete bullshit and he said it with a straight face. He knows because he personally spearheaded the movement to stall all legislation in an effort to “ensure President Obama is a one-term president.”

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Congress and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • JWheels

    I’m just glad McConnell’s “one term president” statement was made on video for all posterity. The proof of Republican obstruction is everywhere, it’s funny to me how conservatives continue to try to revise history that is actually on tape. It’s a lot harder to revise history when all the evidence to the contrary is a Google search away.

  • http://twitter.com/KQuark KQµårk™

    Of course it’s a lie but the worse part is that Obamanots on the left use this meme as well to complain about the Dems not passing a more progressive agenda. Like you said Dems had the magic filibuster proof majority, kinda, for several months not two years. In fact the only big legislation that was passed with no GOP votes was HCR, but still the likes of Nelson and Lieberman killed the PO. The good part is the president for all intensive purposes brought back the PO and even single payer because he’s given states such flexibility implementing the ACA.

    • ArrogantDemon

      Thats what’s galling, and these people are not dumb, but they hope dumb people read their shit not knowing the skewed agenda they have, i.e., Glen Greenwald.

      We know there were senators who said they would not vote for the ACA if there was a public option, it was not Obama who killed it, stop with that liar meme.

      Mitch McConnell is a piece of crap, he’s got a bridge that needs to be fixed, but he’s blocking the AJA just to spite Barack Obama, meanwhile, the bridge which was a 15 minute trip across the river between Kentucky and Indiana is now a 2 hr ride on other rodes.

      I hope the people who have that long ass commute remember Mitch when he’s up for reelection

      • http://twitter.com/KQuark KQµårk™

        I would not even mind it that much if people on the left would just stay informed. VT is on the way to single payer because of Obama’s decision to let states have flexibility with how they execute the ACA and states can have a virtual PO, the fact is there is a Federal de facto PO with the expanded high risk pool. But the critics of Obama on the left or the right like to be willfully ignorant just so they can complain more.

    do they not remember the Al Franken/Norm Coleman recount debacle?

    • ArrogantDemon

      No, and neither do the “liberal” detractors

  • http://twitter.com/GoodDoc01 Good Doc

    Sleestak!

      He reminds me more of a turtle with the voice and cheeks of Droopy Dog

    • ArrogantDemon

      He’s Yertle the Turtle

      Maybe President Obama could bribe him with some lettuce to get some things done

    Let’s see if any of the “journalists” actually call him out on this whopper

    • muselet

      Don’t hold your breath.

      –alopecia

  • Chachizel

    I have conservative friends, and they’re always telling me that our claim of obstructionism is just an excuse….BULLSHIT! It is REALITY! Unprecedented obstructionism from the Republicans, but stupid obstructionism even from the fake Dems like Lieberman, Nelson, etc, etc. They piss me off even more than the Rs do.

  • pandapal

    I am so happy to see in print what I’ve been saying for 3 years. Add to it that he is an embarassment to the Commonwealth he is supposed to represent and his attitude does not necessarily reflect that of his constituents.

  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1059009795 Sandy Knauer Morgan

    Thank you! I’ve been trying to make sure that “name recognition” is attached to everything ugly if McConnell runs again. I’ve been lazy lately but plan to get back to my letters soon. http://lifewithmitchmcconnell.blogspot.com/

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Let me just get it out of the way, and say that I think Mitch McConnell is the single most despicable elected officeholder I’ve ever seen in my life.

    Of course he knows that what he’s saying is bullshit. Of course he knows that the President never had 60 votes, let alone 60 Democrats in the Senate; not when the 60th vote for five months was Joe Lieberman, a Republican in all but name. Of course he knows that he and his party used every procedural rule in the book to stall and obstruct as much as it could.

    But he also knows that his audience believes that the process of governing consists entirely of:

    1. The President decides to “do” something;
    2. Congress votes — once — on whether to “do” it or not.
    3. The end.

    I wish GOP fans were more insulted by what a low opinion their favorite politicians have of their intelligence, and how Republican officeholders play them for fools. It’s not that Republicans lie and say stupid things; it’s that their fans, voters and enablers swallow it whole.

    • stacib23

      1. The President decides to “do” something;
      2. The end.

      Fixed it for ya.

      • GrafZeppelin127

        Well, maybe, but my point is that the Obama-could-do-anything-he-wanted-because-he-had-majorities-in-Congress meme relies on the premise that those numbers in and of themselves guarantee the president gets everything he wants passed the way he wants it, when the legislative process does not even remotely work that way. Having a Congressional majority in and of itself is meaningless unless the process consists of the three steps I set forth, and nothing more.

        • stacib23

          I absolutely understand (and agree with) what you’re saying. I think one of the biggest disservices done to the left was the media pumping up the 60-vote majority bullshit and so many of us bought into it because hell, it looked like 60 Democrats had the Senate and EVERYBODY knows majority rules, so why in all hell couldn’t the Dems and the president make everything all peaches and rainbows? Unfortunately, as recently as yesterday I was talking to one of the Occupiers at lunch and his biggest complaint was that Obama had total rule and could have done X, Y and Z if he had wanted to badly enough. My feeling is that’s really the tone the movement had gravitated towards here, and no matter the argument for reality, they saw 60 and that was enough for them..

  • Robert Scalzi

    Mitch McFroggle makes Jesse Helms and Joe McCarthy seem reasonable.