Mitt Romney’s “Elite” Investments

As Mitt Romney’s tax return and financial disclosure forms continue to be analyzed, new details of his shady financial dealings, the sources of his vast wealth, are coming to light.

Examination conducted by the LA Times has revealed that Romney is personally invested in an “elite” division of Goldman Sachs only open to a who’s who list of clients.

Much of Mitt Romney’s millions has come from his relationship with the biggest name on Wall Street: Goldman Sachs.

In the personal tax returns released by Romney’s presidential campaign Monday, Goldman is revealed as one of the central players involved in managing his family’s massive wealth.

A significant proportion of the Romney family fortune is parked with an elite division of Goldman that is open only to clients with more than $10 million to invest. Another chunk of the fortune is invested in Goldman-run hedge funds, which like all hedge funds are open only to millionaires. [...]

“You have to be a favored person to get that kind of thing,” said Charles Geisst, a former banker and professor of finance at Manhattan College.

I’m not going to shame Mitt Romney for doing business with Goldman since the bank is so large, however not everyone can say they are invested in an “elite division” — gasp! Elite! — only open to those who have $10 million in their pocket to invest. And given that $10 million is only half of Romney’s yearly income, it’s another sign that he has absolutely nothing in common with average Americans. It’s also why he struggles to appear as though he does.

Aside from being invested in an “elite” division of Goldman Sachs, a new report from ThinkProgress also indicates his investments in Goldman may have benefited from the foreclosure crisis and bailout funds.

Along with his investments in Bain Capital funds linked to offshore tax havens, the Romneys have large investments in the Goldman Sachs Strategic Income Fund (institutional class). The firm’s March 2011 annual report for the fund notes that about 8 percent of the fund is invested in banks and 24.5 percent is invested in mortgage-backed obligations. Romney’s form says he has invested between $1,000,001 and $5,000,000 in the fund and his wife Ann has invested an additional $1 million-plus. Since the 2008 economic meltdown and the enactment of the Troubled Asset Relief Fund, this fund has done quite well, growing 7.88 percent between April 2010 and March 2011.

Woops! It just so happens that Florida was hit particularly hard by the recession, however this could also be very damaging to Romney heading into Nevada where the wrath of the foreclosure crisis was greatest.

Question: Why should we Let Detroit Go Bankrupt while investments made by Mitt Romney are rescued? Does Mitt Romney secretly love bail outs?

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Election 2012 and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    When Mitt says “let Detroit go bankrupt” or “let the housing market bottom out,” he keeps forgetting the end of the sentence which is “so me and my buddies can buy it on the cheap.”

  • Draxiar

    This is only slightly off-topic.

    Here is a quote by Ron Paul:

    “I don’t have any intention of releasing it – but for a different reason. I’d probably be embarrassed to put my financial statements next to (the other candidates’) income and I don’t want to be embarrassed because I don’t have a greater income.”

    How come no one is giving this guy shit about his taxes? He’s embarrassed? So that affords him a pass? I call bullshit!

      While I agree in principle, however the establishment doesn’t feel like he’s a serious viable candidate so they aren’t even bothering to ask.

    I want to see some anti-Romney ads saying that Mittens is “part of the problem” and “sending him to the White House isn’t going to solve those problems”

  • Brutlyhonest

    Funny (not haha) thing is, this is just the way the world of high-finance works. The only thing that has changed over the last couple of decades is discount brokers letting us little people in enough to have our money to bet with!

    I think it was a guest on Colbert not too long ago that said the really filthy rich capital venture/investment banker world is pissed at mitt because he’s shining a little light on their deep, dark world.