More Than The Previous 40 years

I believe this is the change we believe in and the change we have received.

With two years of the Obama administration, almost four times as much clean energy has been put on the grid on public lands as in all the previous 40 years.

All the renewable energy ever permitted on public lands totaled 1,800 MW by the end of 2008. In the last two years, the Department of the Interior has approved 6,600 MW of new projects. […]

The uptick in clean energy permits marks a real change in US energy on government-owned land. Public lands have traditionally been approved for oil and gas leases which generate federal revenues of between $5 billion and $6 billion a year. To get an idea of the scale of this change, the total for the two years of Obama renewable energy projects approved will generate just under $1 billion a year to the federal coffers: $786 million annually.

Under $1 billion of annual federal revenue from clean energy may seem like peanuts compared with the $6 billion from oil and gas, but bear in mind that these annual lease earnings cover a period all the way back to the beginning of oil with The Mining Law of 1872, while these new clean energy permits cover a mere two years worth of leases.

Granted, 2.3 million homes out of 102 million isn’t gobsmacking, however it is the first significant steps taken by any administration to move the country away from fossil fuels and it has been accomplished in the face of relentless Republican obstruction.

Just like Bush.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Environment and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    Good one, Ashby!

  • GrafZeppelin127

    A while back I had someone tell me, as part of a litany of criticisms of the President, that “nothing is happening on green energy.” Sure there is, I replied. “Well, I haven’t seen it,” he said. Where have you been looking? I asked.

    It’s one thing to not know things; no one can know everything, there’s too much to know. But nowadays we tend to convert things we don’t know or aren’t aware of things we know do not exist, didn’t happen, aren’t happening, etc.

    Among the more irritating memes about Barack Obama during the 2008 election was that “We don’t know anything about him! We don’t know what he believes! We don’t know what he’s going to do! He hasn’t answered any tough questions! He hasn’t explained [insert bullshit scandal-mongering distortion here]!! Wedon’tknowwedon’tknowwedon’tknow!!!!!!”

    Whenever I heard this, I had to calmly tell the person, No, you don’t know. “We” do know. “We” have read his books, watched and listened to his speeches and interviews, and the 287 Democratic primary debates in which he took part in 2007 and the first half of 2008. He has “answered tough questions” and he has explained [insert bullshit scandal-mongering distortion here]. Just because you’re not aware of it, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen, no matter how much NewsCorp and ClearChannel pay their respective employees to say it didn’t happen.

    This is why I’ve always thought it better to not try too hard to feel one way or another about politics and politicians. There’s too much we don’t know and don’t understand, and we are a little too prone to fill in the blanks in our knowledge and understanding with wild flights of paranoid fancy.

    • jjasonham

      Ahhhhmen.

    • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_YM23FX2FBZEC3UVDPZRGCUBIZ4 staci

      If I didn’t see it, it didn’t happen. If I read it on the internet, it’s really, really true because everything that agrees with MY point of view is factual. Everything else – nothing but opinion.

      My newest pet peeve!

    • MrDHalen

      This is one of the major characteristics of our society today that has me concerned. Americans are living in an era of extreme “Political Laziness”, and massive individual cover-up of this laziness.

      The number of “Monday Morning Quarterbacks” I have telling me how the game is played when they’ve never watched or only tune in every four years is at an all-time high in this country. It’s frustrating for those of us who spend so much time following our democracy on a daily basis.

      I think it speaks to the weakening of a democracy when the citizens bearing the brunt of bad policy simple makeup the causes of their plight, instead of taking the time to investigate and find out it’s true origin.

  • Robert Scalzi

    but , but , but it snows in winter ….

    Nicely done JM

    • drsquid

      Which means Algore is fat har har har cons are so funny.

  • villemar

    But but but Smog Cave Drones Hates Base Indefinite Detention FEMA Hitler