Newt Gingrich: Renowned Historian and Paleontologist?

There have been many conservative excuses for denying climate change and the opinion of the scientific community, not to be outdone however, Newt Gingrich took things a step further yesterday by asserting that he knows better than the scientific community because he is a scientist. Or something.

At a town hall in Atlantic, Iowa, Saturday afternoon, Gingrich gave an unusual reason for his present denial of man-made global warming. “I’m an amateur paleontologist,” Gingrich said. “I spend a lot of time looking at the Earth’s temperature for a very long time. I’m a lot harder to convince than just looking at a computer model.”

I’m fascinated by the weather and I watch it very closely. That doesn’t make me a meteorologist any more than “looking at the Earth’s temperature” makes Newt a paleontologist.

Of course the bigger problem with Newt’s assertion is that paleontology is the study of prehistoric life, not the Earth’s temperature.

Perhaps Newt meant to say amateur climatologist, amateur meteorologist, or maybe even geologist. Or maybe, just maybe, Newt is completely full of crap.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Epic Fail and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • jmby

    I’m a Newt Gingrich observer, and I’ve become convinced he’s completely full of shit.

    Hey, I must be a proctologist!

  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    I’ll go with “completely full of crap” for the Daily Double.

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_S7NUGMJ2FDHYATRLWFEFCC5CQI schemata

    Whenever Newtie invents some new thing he is, he should just stop at “amateur.”

    • nellcote

      He’s a lot like Donald Trump in the way he says he’s the greatest whatever. It’s a bizarre characteristic.

      • D_C_Wilson

        Newt has a long history of describing himself in grandiose terms and casting himself as this once-in-a-century kind of politician. The fact that his one moment as a significant leader was a dismal failure that ended with a $300,000 ethics fine and being forced to resign by his own party doesn’t seem to deter his self-delusion.

    But.. but… he spent a lot of time for a very long time!

    • Dan_in_DE

      He’s still just an amateur, Bob. So give him a break. It’s difficult to come up with complicated scientific terminology offhand, like “over a long period of time.” Ol’ Newtie will get it though..

  • morningsky

    Go away can’t you see the Great Oz is busy!

    If I can remove Newt’s head from his butt, would that make me a “cranialanalologist”?

  • muselet

    Every time he makes a grandiose statement like this, Newt Gingrich makes himself sound like Kim Jong-il bowling 300 the first time he ever tried the game, or shooting a round of 38 under par (with five holes-in-one) on a regulation 18-hole golf course the first and only time he played.

    The sad thing is that some people actually take Newt seriously.

    Newt should probably just stop trying to claim expertise in a variety of areas. He is a really shitty historian even though that’s the field he actually has a degree in. So, if he isn’t any good at the area he spent most of his academic life studying, why should anyone take his “amateur” standing in any other field seriously?