Quote of the Morning

“Obama can sit there and let all the tax [cuts] lapse, and then the Republicans will have enough votes in the Senate in 2014 to impeach. The last year, he’s gone into this huddle where he does everything by executive order. He’s made no effort to work with Congress.” Grover Norquist

First of all, allowing a tax cut bill to sunset per its own text isn’t a high crime or misdemeanor. If the Republicans attempt to impeach the president over this, it’ll be political suicide for them.

Secondly, the president will only allow the tax cuts for the wealthiest brackets expire. Everyone else will remain the same.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Quote and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    Thirdly, He’s made no effort to work with Congress.

    BWAAAA! Yeah, that’s been the dynamic between the Executive and Legislative branches.

  • JMAshby

    Actually the only way only the top bracket will expire is if the Republicans go along with renewing the just the bottom tier. Congress has to act or the whole thing goes away under the current baseline.

    I can’t see them agreeing to that. The republicans are childish enough to sit on their hands and allow every bracket to expire rather than only the top bracket.

    Everyone’s taxes will go up next year, top to bottom. It will be painful, but legislatively ending those cuts is the only way the president’s agenda of the next 5 years works. Ending the cuts is the only way the country will work.

  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    It’s as counterfactual and effed-up as everything else that comes from Grover Norquist.

    Makes you wonder who is running the Republican party doesn’t it? As if we didn’t really know…

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Oh, I think impeachment is a foregone conclusion if Obama wins a second term. And I’d even go so far as to predict that they’ll do it based on a wholly-fictitious “high crime.” Nominally, they won’t impeach him for letting the tax cuts expire; they’ll come up with something else, and no matter what fictitious thing they claim the President did, Fox News will immediately begin reporting it as fact and GOP fans will accept it at face value. The RNC probably has writers devising the scenario and working on the Articles of Impeachment right now.

    Which makes the question of whether Biden will serve a full second term as VP even more interesting. Unlike the prospect of running against an incumbent President Gore in 2000, if Biden’s not going to run in 2016, might the GOP be less reluctant to boot Obama from office and let Biden serve out the rest of his term before giving way to a new Democratic nominee? Or, if you really want to get creative, will they try to impeach Obama and Biden and make Boehner (or Cantor) president?

    OK, I need more coffee….