Road Kill

Artist – RJ Matson

President Obama will deliver the State of the Union tonight at 9 pm EST. You can view a live-stream via the White House website or directly on Youtube.

Feel free to discuss it here.

  • http://twitter.com/Sweetey15 Janet ODell

    freakin hilarious !! Shared on FB.

    I thought the State of the Union was a bit stronger than in the past and he definitely drew a line between what stances he will take in contrast to any of the GOP candidates.

    Also, that ending metaphor about the mission to get Bin Laden and how we have to work together, was very powerful.

    Now the pundits, particularly the GOP pundits, are characterizing his populist approach as “soshulism”. Douches…..

    • muselet

      Pundits? Hold them under until the bubbles stop.

        Good thing I am in the office alone…that one made me guffaw loudly….

    Also, too, Mitch Daniels just blamed the President for the obstruction that the GOP and Conservadems have engaged in…..Good Lord, they’re completely delusional!

    • muselet

      Mitch Daniels also said that no one could look at the economy and say it wasn’t worse than it was three years ago.

      Delusional, no. Shameless, yes.

      Daniels and the rest of the Republicans are counting on the public not to know they’re lying and relying on our glorious news media not to call them on it. Pretty safe bets, both.

        There was one huge dog whistle in there too….did anyone else catch it?

        Just read the full text of Daniel’s speech and did not find what I thought I heard…think it was some pundit that I wasn’t fully paying attention to on CNN….my bad.

  • raistuumum

    Uuugh, I just got out of a chatroom full of SomethingAwful users cause it was just nothing but whining.

    Here’s what one lovely user posted:

    “So to recap:
    -I killed Osama
    -Fracking
    -Teacher reform without education funding increases
    -I killed Osama
    -Work together to accomplish shit
    -Take credit for toothless financial regulations that do nothing
    -End silly regulations
    -Corporate tax breaks
    -I killed Osama
    -Everyone in high school til 18
    -Corporate based tech training
    -American Flag
    -GM is number 1
    -Fuck you Iran, you are next
    -Americans can come together to kill brown people
    -I Killed Osama

    All in all a solid Republican SOTU.”

    This is what emoprogs really believe.

    • i_a_c

      Since when are “progressives” against corporate-based tech training?

  • i_a_c

    Thought it was a very good speech, but that goes without saying with this president.

    Like Irish said, it was a very assertive speech. I’m glad he took that tone, because he could use to look like the “strong leader” when going up against the weak-kneed Romney.

    I thought he hit most of the populist high points, and he did a good job pointing out that he can do some stuff, but he can do more with the help of Congress. You can bet he can hammer that point home during the run up to the election.

    I’m glad he took credit for the improving economy and improved relations with other countries.

    I only have one thing to say……..YOU fucking ROCKED, Mr. President!!

  • incredulous72

    I agree it was a great speech. Much more assertive without being full-on attack mode (although I wouldn’t have minded that). I liked the fact that he talked quite a bit about manufacturing, labor and education; that’s going to be very good for him going forward. I especially liked that he tore a hole in this whole income inequality/class warfare, jealousy business.

    I share Bernie Sanders’ concerns about “shared sacrifice” and compromising with republicans. What republicans want is to destroy social programs for those in need; President Obama can’t let that happen under any circumstances.

    Mitch Daniels is a republican that used the now famous republican tactic of scaring the crap out of the american public to get what they want. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Bush used that MO too many times and now we all know y’all are just crying wolf.

    The end of the speech with the Seal team taking bin Laden down and the teamwork . . .

    Priceless.

    P.S. – I wanted to kick Eric Cantor in the face.

    • muselet

      Only Cantor?

      –alopecia

      • incredulous72

        I dunno what it is about him that makes me “very angry”.

        A very visceral, violent anger that can only be quelled by punching him in the face.

        Boehner, McConnell, Paul, McCain, Ryan, King (both), Walsh . . . I can kinda just laugh them off.

        But Cantor . . .

        . . . and DeMint. Yeah, DeMint too. Two nice left hooks.

        • muselet

          I think it’s the smirk. Same reason I want to take a cricket bat to John McCain.

          I agree about John Boehner: he’s easy to laugh off, and at. Whenever he listens to the president, he looks like he’s swallowed a mouse, which is fun to watch.

          –alopecia

          • incredulous72

            Funny, that never bothers me about McCain. I guess I attribute his smirks to “senior moments”.

            LOL!

          I feel that way about McCain. Did you see his reaction to the statement on increased border security…he is such a prick.

          • muselet

            Yup, that’s the look.

            Sorry, double post. Disqus went mad again.

      I wanted to leap up and rip Cantor’s smirk off his face!

  • muselet

    Overall, a good speech. Not one for the ages, but solid.

    Spanking Congress is always a popular thing for a president to do. I do worry that the Rs will decide Obama hurt their fee-fees and refuse to play with him any more, but now that their game has been publicly identified it will be harder (though certainly not impossible) for our glorious news media to pretend that the problem is “Washington.”

    About Mitch Daniels, the less said the better. Whoever tapped him to do the response couldn’t have chosen anyone more wooden, and whoever wrote his speech seems to misunderstand the phrase “loyal opposition”—and most of the other words, too.

    And just to follow up on the comment I made above about pundits, the vapidity of Peggy Noonan (thanks, ABC, for foisting the silly woman on us!) is breathtaking.

    –alopecia

    • ranger11

      Why did they choose someone who declined to run for president? There’s gottta be a Republican out there who is not a complete asshole? Guess not.

  • mrbrink

    Cracker Hitler Mitch Daniels reminding everyone that Indiana is the site of this year’s Super Bowl had all the feelings of inclusiveness of an invitation to a back yard cross burning condemning Jesse Owens for embarrassing Der Furhrer er in the 1936 Olympics.