The Teleprompter Meme Just Won't Die

“Leaders speak from conviction. Actors speak from telepromters.” Rick Warren

Actors speak from teleprompters? You mean like every president since the device was invented?

President Obama invited Rick Warren to deliver the invocation at his inauguration. So much for reaching out.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Quote and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • ranger11

    I don’t think he will make that same mistake twice. Obama has evolved since that point in time. There are some who some who don’t believe this. They’re stuck in the past. He’s a different candidate and individual than he was circa 2008-09. I really believe his campaign is taking on a Trumanesque or TR tint this year. It’s no bullshit on his part. The pundits and mainstream media are going to be upset with this but what else is new. Fuck ‘em.

    At least we can finally agree which one Reagan was.

    I fully expect the Republican nominee to deliver his convention speech with giant, David Letterman cue cards.

    • mrbrink

      Sarah Palin’s leadership cue cards always come in handy.

      And maybe the GOP and Rick Warren have little use for teleprompters and getting it right when they’re addressing the public probably because you don’t really need a teleprompter when you’re nothing more than a lying sack of shit on autopilot.

  • mrbrink

    When the president was facing the entire House GOP during the televised healthcare debates, like actual leaders would do, and was up there turning a house full of right wing dumbasses into chunky douche stew– no teleprompters came to save them from president Obama’s conviction. It was so bad, even at 100-1, they now know what the president looks like without a teleprompter all too well, and they never did televise another “debate.”

    Cowards run from their convictions, as the GOP have done that day and everyday since, sniping from the rafters and the fringes like terrorists of democracy.

    Republican president Ronald Reagan was an actual actor for the GOP like Rick Warren is an actual asshole for Christ.

    The Bible salesman is giving lectures on leadership.

    • GrafZeppelin127

      I wish someone would put the video from that meeting on an endless loop somewhere. It was awesome.

      • mrbrink

        I imagined that when it was over, they were all like an agitated Homer Stokes getting out of the car with his political prop-midget complaining about their KKK rally being desecrated by the president’s band of miscreants interfering with their sacred rituals– and obstructing a public lynch mob in the performance of its duty.

        hey, Graf, apropos of nothing topical, saw this on eBay and thought you might at least get a smile out of it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130639737884&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123#ht_4208wt_1045

        • GrafZeppelin127

          That’s neat; thanks.

    • JackDaniel07

      As always, I agree wholeheartedly. Ive been saying since the good ol’ days when we thought Sarah would enter the race, that whoever wins the GOP nomination will try to change or circumvent all rules and precedent and try to avoid a televised debate against the President. Newt is preemptively trying, but he won’t win. Romney vs. Obama in a debate? Mincemeat…

    • ArrogantDemon

      it was so bad, FOX news cut away early from showing the full ass whooping.

      Gotta love these conservatives who project their shitty qualities upon others to distract from them being so shitty and shallow

  • GrafZeppelin127

    I don’t blame the commentators and pundits who keep flogging this moronic meme; I blame the people who are taken in by it and actually think it means something.

    That said, somebody made the point last night (may have been Laurence O’Donnell or Ed Schultz, I’m not sure which) that this kind of thing, like RNC Chair and Star Wars cantina alien Reince Priebus’ galactically stupid remark comparing Obama to the Italian cruise-ship captain, is aimed only at people who are already inside the bubble, whose animus toward the president is already ingrained and taken for granted. The GOP may, just may, be trying so hard and spending so much time and effort validating the prejudices of its lunatic base that it’s losing sight of how to reach people outside the Fox News closed-information alternate universe.

    Indeed, I think that’s the only way Obama wins in November. If (1) the fictional President Barack X and all his fictional misdeeds don’t spread to those living outside Fox’s alternate reality, and (2) there are fewer people living in that alternate reality than we, and they, think.

    • Miranda

      Star Wars cantina alien Reince Priebus
      ____________________

      *I can’t stop laughing*

      The GOP may, just may, be trying so hard and spending so much time and effort validating the prejudices of its lunatic base that it’s losing sight of how to reach people outside the Fox News closed-information alternate universe.

      May? MAY?

      They’ve gone far beyond that and are about to reach the point that they believe that everything outside that closed-information alternate universe is an illusion.

    • stacib23

      Indeed, I think that’s the only way Obama wins in November.

      Be still my fast-beating heart – Graf is coming around. :-)

      • GrafZeppelin127

        Well, let’s not get carried away. :)

        The fiction won in 2010. I’m still not convinced it won’t happen again; i.e., that enough voters will recognize the fiction for what it is.

    • Robert Scalzi

      I disagree Graf…. If it wasn’t for the teleprompter reading pundit Jackasses pushing this meme it would have died in 2008

      • GrafZeppelin127

        They’re only pushing it because the bubble denizens are still eating it up. I don’t want go get into a chicken/egg thing, but in any normal universe the meme would have been dismissed by the public for the moronic joke it is and then it would have died. Except the public didn’t reject it.

  • Chad Burns

    So does anyone else see the continuous correlation between assholes and Conservatives? No matter what your beliefs are, surely people can see Warren’s comment as petty and that of an asshole after President Obama reached out to him, right?

    This connection sounds like a good meme for another article Bob.

    • JackDaniel07

      from my facebook page a few weeks back, along that meme:

      Ive known a lot of ‘Newt Gingrichs’ in my life. Ive worked with them and for them. Ive known them on the golf course and in the grocery store. On your local school board or the jerk on the HOA council. Fathers of my friends have been Newts, as have friends of my father. All of them clever and snarky, hypocritical to the core. From an early age I could see right through the Newts, even/especially this Grand Amalgamation of Douchebaggery, the TRUE Newt Gingrich.

  • ArrogantDemon

    All this talk about teleprompters have hurt the GOP, because they cant use a device they demonized another man for using.

    You can try and reach people, but if they want to be dicks, let them be dick and stay away from them,

    Sigh. First of all, actors, when acting, do NOT use teleprompters. They memorize their lines. His point is pointless.

      YES!!

  • trgahan

    Christian leaders demand we, individually and as a society, actually follow the teachings of Jesus. Charlatan, Hawaiian shirted, hucksters write books absolving us of any obligation to the golden rule or the beatitudes and boiling faith down to blindly following minor, low sacrifice religious practices and blind acceptance of authority. All of which strangely corresponds to the RNC political platform.
    True religious leaders typically end up imprisoned or dead. Religious conmen end up millionaires with access to societies powerful elite.

  • Robert Scalzi

    Asslicker Rick Warren used a fucking Teleprompter at his grotesque monument to greed every sunday, Fuck him.

      Asslicker Rick Warren just defined himself as an actor, I guess.

      • Robert Scalzi

        a “d” grade horror movie actor no doubt

  • KAboink

    This is the type of argument someone makes when they have nothing else.
    It’s actually quite pitiful.

  • Jeremy Bronson

    Remember when you supported having Rick Warren speak at the inauguration, Bob? And Lee Stranahan was vehemently against it? I hate to say he was right — and I’ve hardly ever felt that way since, but yeah…

    • mrbrink

      You have it totally backward.

      To sum up: Bob called Warren’s inclusion “a political blunder” and said it for all the right reasons and Lee said, “we need all the prayers we can get.”

      That is the opposite of what you just said.

      Lay off the Razzles, kid.

      • Jeremy Bronson

        Sure enough, you’re correct. Should’ve looked it up first. I apologize.