Video: Gabrielle Giffords Resignation

via Talking Points Memo

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords bid farewell to the House of Representatives Wednesday morning receiving an emotional standing ovation from her colleagues.

The Arizona congresswoman submitted her resignation to House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) just over a year after a horrific shooting in Tucson that left six people dead and Giffords critically wounded. Since that time, Giffords has made incredible progress, but she is resigning to continue focusing on her recovery. The House met Wednesday morning to take up Giffords final piece of legislation, designed to give stiffer sentences to smugglers who use small, ultralight aircraft to bring drugs into the U.S. from Mexico.

And for once, John Boehner cried at an appropriate moment.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Congress and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Bill Orvis White

    I do feel bad for the congresslady. That fella who shot her needs to go to the electric chair. It’s a waste of time feeding that monster. Also, who is the crying lady who looks like one of the mops that I use to clean out sewers? That voice sounds like it could scare away the vermin that trolls around my shed at night. Amen, Bill

  • incredulous72

    Good Grief Ashby! First Bob and now you! Twice in one day with Ms. Giffords and the tears!

    Beautiful and moving.

    Thanks.

  • gescove

    To @Bill Orvis Wright -The woman speaking on Gabrielle’s behalf is Debbie Wasserman Schultz. She is the U.S. Representative for Florida’s 20th congressional district and the Chair of the Democratic National Committee.

    I disagree with your electric chair comment. State-sponsored revenge killing as criminal punishment is a blight on the soul of our nation. It is well past the time to abolish the death penalty.

  • Paul Warren Jr

    I have to admit, I cried (a little) when I saw Giffords and Obama hug. My step-mother suffered an aneurysm while on an island remote from decent medical care and barely avoided death. She is also on a long road of recovery, both mentally and physically. I think my dad would give anything to see her in the amazing state that Giffords is in now.