We'd Only Be Punishing Ourselves

In a repeat of 2000, Michael Moore is taking the wrong approach:

MICHAEL MOORE: “They’re so desperate to be elected, that [it] is more powerful than the money than they’re getting from these corporations is your vote. They can’t win without your vote — and don’t let the Democrats and Barack Obama play that card of ‘Well, where else are you going to go?’ You know? They do not want to do that. They really don’t want to do that because hey saw what happened in 2000. There’s just enough pissed off people that will actually go somewhere else and can cause a huge ruckus as a result of that. So, they do not have to go back very far to think of an example of what happens when you punk on those who have less. Don’t do that, President Obama and the Democratic party. Stand up now.

Threatening the president and the Democrats with a vote for a third party — or worse, staying at home — is misdirected. If we pulled another stunt like 2000 and President Obama lost to Mitt Romney, we’d all be hurt by that outcome as the Romney administration would roll back everything.

No more healthcare reform, an all-out invasion of Iran, no more infrastructure spending, DADT reinstated — all of it. This Moore threat is meaningless (paraphrased): “If you keep pissing us off, Obama, you won’t win! Oooga-booga!” See, it’s not about whether Candidate X “wins,” it’s about what they’ll do when they win. By many accounts, a second term President Obama will move leftward. He won’t have to worry about re-election, and this terrifies the Republicans and far-right conservatives. On the other hand, how do you think Mitt Romney will govern?

In 2000, Ralph Nader received 2,883,105 votes nationwide out of around 102 million. Significant for a third party, but not a threat to Bush and Gore. But in Florida? 97,488 votes for Nader. If Nader hadn’t run such a strong campaign with so much support from a disillusioned left-wing and its voices like Michael Moore, Al Gore might have won Florida and history would have been almost completely different. (It’s worth noting that Moore’s “all parties are the same” mantra disappeared by 2004 when he and Bill Maher begged Nader to not run again on national television. It was a televised display of regret for the exact point of view Moore is inexplicably re-discovering now.)

I know you might be angry that President Obama hasn’t done exactly everything you personally wanted (yet). But take a look at the wide view — the historical view, and decide whether a protest vote will help your causes, and, more importantly, who a protest vote will really hurt. Personally, I will never again make the same mistake I made in 2000 with my empty, idiotic vote for Nader. I wasn’t seeing the big picture and I was blinded by people who told me that the parties and their candidates are the same. They’re not — by a long shot — as evidenced by what we know now with historical perspective.

    Thank you, Bob.

  • ranger11

    Do they all have some sort of brain injury? The year 2000 wasn’t that long ago. I really can’t believe Moore’s shenanigans. Good thing my vote for Nader in ’96 didn’t too much damage. Do they really believe this stuff works? I don’t get it.

    • missliberties

      Maybe he wants us to click on his blog and tell him why that is such a stupid idea.

  • nellcote

    You don’t even have to go back to 2000, though that was bad enough. Just look at 2010. Moore is a straight up ratfucker at this point.

    • http://twitter.com/Sweetey15 Janet ODell

      Yes he is.

    • missliberties

      I am down with calling Mikey Moore a ratfucker at this point.

      The guy must need attention.

      Does anyone know if he is more popular or less popular than now than he was in 2000?

      Reality is we have a two party system and that just reality in spite of Chris Hedges desire to blow the fucking thing up and hand over our country to vulture capitalists. I mean what could go wrong there?

      • MarshallLucky

        “The only way you’ll find happiness is to accept that the way things are is the way things are.”

        Babe really is a fine film. What a twisted joke liberalism has become when this is the attitude we take toward our profoundly shitty political structure.

        As for Moore, he’s never been popular, because he never shuts up. Which is a double-edged sword, but I’d say on the whole he’s done more good than harm.

    • MarshallLucky

      Oh how fucking insightful.

      • ranger11

        Calm down, everything will be okay my friend.

  • JWheels

    I’m hoping the difference between now and 2000 is that there are reasonable voices out there on the left who are pointing out how idiotic the perspective that Moore seems to be espousing once again actually is. I was only 16 years old in 2000 and wasn’t able to vote but I was utterly stunned when George W. ended up being declared the winner.

    • Scopedog

      “I’m hoping the difference between now and 2000 is that there are reasonable voices out there on the left who are pointing out how idiotic the perspective that Moore seems to be espousing once again actually is. ”

      I honestly hope so. Bob is certainly a voice of reason, and there’s Milt Shook and Tim Wise and Randi Rhodes, Steve Benen and Jonathan Chait and others, but….it always seems like the assholes like Greenwald, Moore, and Hamsher receive more attention.

      • JWheels

        Unfortunately it seems like the way things work especially nowadays is that people who seek the most attention tend to get it…

  • http://twitter.com/Sweetey15 Janet ODell

    No one could have said it better than you, Bob. Thanks.

  • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

    Yeah, I thought we were done with this kind of nonsense after 2010, and that was just what happens when we give Republicans the House. Imagine if they get the Senate and presidency again.

    • http://themidnightsolution.blogspot.com LTMidnight

      “…Imagine if they get the Senate and presidency again….”

      Then Michael Moore’s films might start making a profit again. Hmmmmm…

      • http://twitter.com/mefrahmjr Michael Frahm Jr

        Michael Moore is nothing but a schill, a left wing infiltrator, a Benedict Arnold. He’d sell his own country down the river with his well timed voter suppression tactics. That is essentially what he is doing, suppressing the left wing vote…

      • JoyP

        Exactly. this guy lives in a multi-million dollar home and tries to pull a “Romney” on us. There has be be another angle to this. He obviously wants the attention and there are media outlets out there that are more than happy to have him.

  • DetroitSam

    People like Arianna Huffington, Michael Moore, Jane Hamsher, Cenk Uygur and their ilk have been trying to undermine President Obama and using republican talking points to do it. Some of them even started before the inaguration ceremonies were over.

    They are suffering from Obama Derangement Syndrome and use every opportunity they can and then some to trash President Obama. They never really supported then candidate Obama.

    Their real choice was Hillary Clinton. They just about lost their minds when President Obama won the nomination. They have clung to this hatred and are still fighting Hillary’s lost battle. Many of them quited down after the nomination, but some, who have a platform like Arianna Huffington and her sidekick Jane Hamsher, and Michael Moore, sho seems be be staple on Keith Olbermanns show, among others, never did.

    Their goal is to help bring down President Obama to “prove” that Hillary Clinton or Dennis Kucinich should have been president. Just like the republicans and many in what passes for media (not just Fox) they are just ticked off that President Obama has accomplishes something but has not kowtowed to them.

    Do you ever hear these people talking about how the republicans have been obstructing the Democrats and the President since BEFORE he took office? Why is that?

    Obama Derangement Syndrome.

    • ArrogantDemon

      And you wont hear them talk about Congress sand the Senate blocking fund for him to close Gitmo, including ones like Bernie Sanders who gets a free pass, but still excoriate Barack Obama for making that promise

      I wonder if any of those are involved in this Citizens Elect shit thats an online ballot that is on like 30 states?

      I suspect some fuckery is afoot

      And I find it comical some lefty 1% are trying to tell me whats good for me.

      Gotta wonder how much cash they’re making from concern trolling

[...]

    splintering the party so badly that the teabaggers actually benefit. Luckily, I don’t think the GOP can be outdone this time as far as dysfunctional goes.

  • D_C_Wilson

    And if Mitt Romney is sworn in next year, these emoprogs will point fingers at everyone but themselves.

    • GrafZeppelin127

      Not if; when.

      The fantasy of Obama sitting at home in Chicago saying to Michelle, “Gee I wish I had done what [insert emoprog’s name here] wanted and not taken [his/her] vote for granted” is enough for a lot if them.

        Romney will not win, Graf.

        Nor can you possibly know that he will. The fact that you make this point [your opinion] so frequently leaves me wondering what possible good it serves for you to do so.

        • GrafZeppelin127

          I dunno. Maybe it’s some kind of weird cosmic reverse psychology. :)

  • coop10

    Republican have no problem holding the country hostage. What does Moore think will happen if Romney wins? Moore is too naive and should really abandon this petulant stance. The future of our country is at stake, and all Moore wants to do is pitch a fit. Childish. Very childish.

    • drsquid

      Moore is not naive. Conservative executives sell Moore books.

  • eljefejeff

    In Moore’s book Stupid White Men, he says in the last few days of the 2000 campaign when it appeared Bush might beat Gore, he tried to convince Nader to promise Gore he’d drop out of the race if Gore declares that his main focus will be implementing health care reform. Nader declined, but even then Moore realized what it would mean for republicans to win. Plus as Bob mentioned, in 04, he begged Nader not to run. He would regret this one too.

      The only thing Michael Moore regrets is when attention is not sufficiently focused on him and his opinions.

    • ArrogantDemon

      If that regret was try, whats preventing him from being introspective now and trying to repeat the same result?

      He probably wrote all that to cover himself for 2000

  • mrbrink

    If Michael Moore needs to be told the differences between Mitt Romney and President Obama or Nancy Pelosi and John Boehner, or Eric Cantor, or Mitch McConnell and Harry Reid– he’s either the dumbest motherfucker in subversive politics or a colossal liar. There is no viable 3rd option, unless what you seek is even more misery and suffering at the hands of radical right wing extremists who vote in solidarity for things like the Paul Ryan budget. I wonder what sort of Supreme Court justices we’ll get with a right wing president? Maybe we haven’t suffered enough for Michael Moore. We’re just not sufficiently angry enough at the Obama Democrats who’ve been undermined and replaced by right wing nutjobs due to Michael Moore’s fear of becoming obsolete.

    We’re trying to hold the line at the very least against unscrupulous insane right wing terrorists with a roving political death squad mentality putting women’s rights, gay rights, religious freedom, science, environment, education, the vote, all on the wall to be summarily executed– with smiles. Maybe Michael Moore thinks if we allow enough right wing nutjobs to be legislative power brokers that shift will move us closer to purity and bongo drum solidarity and we will see he’s right, that there’s no difference between an emboldened Congressional Progressive Caucus and a small army of Grover Norquist flunkies with a mandate blowing giant holes in the ship of state. So yeah, getting Democrats elected is a major component to a better representative democracy, Michael Moore. Guilty? Elections matter. This election matters. Using elections for blackmail in this political climate against the only party that gives a shit about any of the things we all care about is tantamount to liberal treason and the most imbecilic approach to movement politics I’ve ever seen. This is worthy of a hearty and sincere, “what the fuck is your problem, asshole?”

    Michael Moore is a millionaire. He’ll be just fine, maybe even better, when the laws coming out of the right wing House are streamlined through the right wing Senate and signed by President Mitt Romney who will be calling the shots in America while the rest of us are treated like the dog strapped to the roof-roof traveling in the airtight compartment of the maniacal clown car. Honka-honka, next stop– Glory!

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Something I’ve been thinking about lately as a rough analogy of the behavior I’m seeing from those on the Left who are trying to emotionally blackmail the President by inviting another 8 years of Republican rule.

    [DISCLAIMER: I just want to say up front that I don’t mean to trivialize the importance of this election or the issues of law and governance that underlie it. I only mean to analogize the behavior, not the subject matter.]

    See, I’m one of the five or six people on the planet who has no problem whatsoever with the “Special Editions” of the original Star Wars trilogy. I love the movies, the originals were great, but I have no quarrel with Lucas going in and revising his work and I’m fine with the changes, the new VFX, and I could really give less than a shit whether Greedo shot first. More than that, I don’t really get the intensity of the backlash against the SEs and the how-dare-he dudgeon against Lucas. Not that I want to litigate this issue here, or minimize people’s love for the films, but come on. I can think of ten really good reasons why it makes no sense to feel angry, betrayed, slighted, put-upon, etc. because some movies were revised.

    In some ways, I think look at politics the same way. There are things I like and things I don’t like, and things that really piss me off, but when it comes to things like the President’s performance I try to pay attention and understand what’s going on and not let my emotions get the better of me. Of course, I voted for him and am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in ways I wouldn’t be if I hadn’t voted for him, but to withdraw support entirely and switch sides seems to serve no purpose beyond my own emotional satisfaction. I didn’t abandon the Mets to become a Yankee fan after what the Mets did to us in 2007, and again in 2008, and nothing Obama has done comes even close to that level.

    Now, politics, law and governance are obviously different from movie and sports fandom, but I think the point I’m trying to make is that sometimes it’s important to not feel too strongly one way or another about things, and instead to observe and try to understand as best you can. When it comes to politics/law/governance there’s just too much to know, too much going on that we can’t know and that we can’t be aware of, to feel too strongly about or read too much into the result if the result is really the only thing we’re aware of.

    Unfortunately our binary political system conditions us to think in binary terms, i.e., we can only be for or against this or that policy, candidate, piece of legislation, legislative or executive action or decision, result, etc. We look at things only in terms of whether something “happened” or didn’t; whether the President or whomever else “did” something or not. It’s unfortunate but it’s often the only assessment we have the time, the energy, and the intellectual stamina to make.

    At the end of the day, people who hate the Star Wars Special Edition revisions will accomplish just about as much as the left-wing Obama haters will. They’ll congratulate themselves for standing on “principle”, and fantasize about George Lucas or Barack Obama sitting at home contemplating writing them a personal engraved apology and saying to Mellody or Michelle, “Gee, I really wish I’d done what [insert name] wanted and not taken [his/her] vote for granted.” And for some, that’s enough.

    • Scopedog

      Nice analogy–and I feel the same way about the SE editions of STAR WARS as you do. Never got the venom tsunami sent Lucas’ way, and I fucking HATE the hipster spew about how GL “raped their childhoods”.

      Honestly, if Moore doesn’t realize that he’s heading down the same road now as he did in 2000 (and pretty much most of the PL hating on Obama), then he’s truly a lost cause. And this isn’t about fear-mongering–maybe this dingus forgot about the lives lost due to President G. W. Bush’s nonsense–or maybe he should take a look at the NYC skyline.

      “Both parties are the same” my ass. Have they really flushed the eight years of Bush down the fucking memory hole already?

    • atlavely

      I really like this. Thank you for a concise, well conceived analogy.

  • The_Dork_Knight

    You know, the worst thing about the Republicans is that they force me to keep voting for the Democrats. I do not feel that the democrats represent ME and my policy views. They are, in my view, far too conservative, weak and corrupt (as a party, there are fine individuals in the Democratic party). I vote for them because the alternative is far too disturbing to comptemplate. Say the words President Gingrich and I become that kid at the end of that Mel Gibson flick Ransom, standing in the middle of the room with pee running down my leg.

    So the question that Moore is dealing with is how do we influence this party that is our only viable option? If it is not the threat of them losing my vote why do they ever have to listen to me or people like me at all? Whats the alternative? Loudly criticising policies with which we disagree? We see that condemed as well. Whats the alternative then?

      Here you go again. Fucking typical asinine crap.

      I’ll tell ya what, dork, you tell us which policies you are so unhappy with, and then tell us if you have a solution other than doing something which will accomplish nothing more than the likely destruction of this democracy.

      You people are completely fucking insane or stupid. Take your pick.

      • The_Dork_Knight

        Hey Nicole. As charming and rational and level headed as always I see. Hope all is well!

          That’s the problem. Can’t stand your level of irrational rage because you don’t get everything you want instantly.

          Adding….on the other hand, I am far more concerned about the larger implications, the outcome of another Republican presidency at this time, about what that means for the country, not just for my OWN issues.

    • mrbrink

      It’s still negative politics Moore is engaging in. People tend to vote against things, and Moore is giving the willfully disenfranchised something to vote against serving up the Obama Democrats as equally unworthy of elected office as right wing conservatives and it’s provably false.

      Being a vocal proponent of the positive accomplishments of the last congress while contrasting the current crop of slugs would seem to be a logical approach pushing left into the future. Is it really that difficult to defend with an ounce of conviction the work of the Obama Democrats in the last congress? Moore wants to take the long way around the park and call it a shortcut and then he wants to stop the ride because he’s too slow on the uptake to know what the fuck he’s even talking about anymore. 3/4 of the things that come out of his mouth embarrass me, but I let it slide because I’ve always believed his heart was in the right place.

      But allowing Michael Moore to speak for Leftwing America as an intellectual leader with no accountability, or interruption, is suicide because what Moore is doing is depressing the vote and giving aid to the GOP who are there waiting like violent pedophiles for Democracy Elementary School to let out. It would be less crazy if we weren’t staring down the possibility of a right wing consolidation of the three branches of the U.S. government this year. He’s rarely objective, but a subjective purveyor of one-eyed character composite sketches, and he says the things he says as if right wing jackboots and flackies aren’t relentlessly beating down the doors of American power. Apparently the Democratic party are equally to blame for not being brutal enough to override democracy, or effectively assuage the 60 million idiots who voted for Sarah Palin in 2008.

      The Democratic party didn’t depress voter turnout in 2010, Michael Moore and company did with their incessant misplaced attacks, self-promotion, and short-sighted idea of movement politics.

      We have to work with these nuts who’ve dragged down the whole country because people like Michael Moore don’t have the courage to stand up FOR the center-left wing party in this country anymore and get our backs when it counts. He’s twisting the knife at this point laughing awkwardly at his own stupid jokes.

      We don’t need a vote depressing third party spoiler. We need to hold the line and move incrementally forward, not stopping even for Michael Moore’s slow ass.

    • muselet

      TDK, I understand your frustration. When I’m feeling cranky, I share it.

      How do we (liberals, progressives, Lefties) influence the Democratic Party? It’s not by staying home on election day—if that’s the answer, Moore’s asking the wrong question. Emotional blackmail doesn’t work on institutions; indeed, it’s probably counterproductive.

      First things first.

      The reality is that we are fighting a holding action. Fail to support the conservative, weak, corrupt (your word, not mine) Democratic Party and the whole house of cards comes down. A President Romney with a Republican majority in both houses of Congress would end the American Experiment once and for all (and Michael Moore would be hooting and gibbering from the sidelines, trying desperately to make people think this outcome wasn’t the fault of him and the simpletons who take him seriously). Job One is to keep Republicans out of positions of power and authority, at least until the GOP stops behaving irresponsibly.

      Job Two is to reform the Democratic Party. That’s a bigger, tougher fight that to my mind starts with overturning Citizens United and Buckley v. Valeo (which in turn means keeping the Rs away from the presidency). Longer-term, you (we) need to fight for union rights, since it’s the decline of unions in the US that has pushed the Democratic Party into the arms of the corporations (political campaigns are expensive and contributions have to come from somewhere). And I’ll say it again: if you want to take over the Democratic Party, follow the model of social conservatives and take over the frakking party from the inside.

      You’re frustrated, I’m frustrated, I’ll bet you a cookie that everyone posting on, commenting on, or reading this blog is frustrated. However, taking Michael Moore and his idiocy seriously is not the solution. Changing the political landscape is not the work of a moment and it’s not an easy task.

      Incremental progress is frustrating, but it’s progress.

      –alopecia

      • The_Dork_Knight

        Well said Alo. And I agree with pretty much all of that. I like this President. He is not all that I wished he would be but I never really expected him to be. Whats more, I thought the last House preformed awesomely. The problem was always the Senate, and the Dem’s unwillingness or inability to change the rules to get around republican obstruction. But yes, in an ideal world I would be able to vote for Democratic socialists who want fundamental change of our economic, civil and social structures. However, I have no illusions that we do not live in an ideal world.

        There are (continued) attempts by some here to ascribe beliefs or stances to me that I have never held. They want so very much to cram me into their box that they dont listen to what I say. For example, I have never held that both parties are the same. Ever. I have never said anything of the sort. I am not a firebagger or an emoprog or whoever the “you people” are that I’m being lumped with. You will notice that I didnt even take a position on the post for which I was predictably reemed. I happen to agree that staying home, not voting for nearly any available Democrat over any available Republican is, frankly a patriotic friggin duty at this point and if Moore was implying the opposite I think he is wrong. NOT EVIL. Just wrong. I simply raised the question of where someone like me goes after he accepts that he has to vote for Democrats even when he would rather not. Thats all I said. I can see why people flipped their shit. Not you, obviously. :0) Much respect Alo. Catch ya later.

[...]

  • gescove

    Good to know you learned the error of your ways and can now write passionately and convincingly against the “both parties are the same” nonsense.

    Is it just me or not………it seems to me that every time things are going relatively well for the Pres, the delusional emoprogs suddenly get loud and another big brouhaha begins?

  • muselet

    I may be alone here, but I’ve always thought Michael Moore was a slightly dim, marginally talented, self-absorbed boob with little or no regard for the truth.

    Moore needs to be driven from polite society—or, if that’s too drastic, be studiously ignored—until he realizes he’s done more harm than good (watch the skies for flying pigs).

    –alopecia

  • MarshallLucky

    It’s not a threat, it’s a warning, and people would do well to listen. The bitchy little pissing contest between left-wing factions on the internet is irrelevant to what Moore is saying. You don’t have to look far to see that there is enormous discontent with our democracy across the entire political spectrum. People are sick of the party structure, sick of the corruption and the money, sick of seeing the same faces mouthing the same platitudes every single election. Whether this is rational or not is irrelevant; American politics is only semi-rational at the best of times. Moore is saying that the level of discontent is so great that if voters do not see one of the two major candidates credibly addressing it, they will go elsewhere. We can see this right now with the small frenzy over Ron Paul. The party that wins this cycle will be the party that can address that discontent and channel it constructively. Otherwise it will be a 2000-style clusterfuck all over again.

    • The_Dork_Knight

      Well said. The response is not rational. But suffering people rarely are rational. When no good ways to change things remain people in desperation will turn to really bad ways. Like Ron Paul. The fact that this nut job could draw anyone who claims to be liberal boogles the mind.

      • ranger11

        How can liberals support libertarians? Is it the lib prefix? This is and remains very puzzling.

        • The_Dork_Knight

          Agreed

  • ArrogantDemon

    Some people commented that how can Moore make money and get attention of leftie outrage with a Democrat in the White House?

    Looks like he’s trying to solve that issue with these bullshit veiled empty threats.

    And whats comical is he thinks he speaks for a vast majority, when nearly 80% of liberals are going to vote for Barack Obama again.

    And there is no “oh, there’s all the same” bullshit, The GOP wants to go ahead with the Ryan Plan, repeal Healthcare Reform, bring back DADT, cut taxes on the top even more, and cut programs for the rest.

    This dude is not dumb, but this is fucking attention whoring and ratfucking.

    And when Barack Obama win re-election, I hope his ticket sells take a fucking dive, and all he can do is do webcam documentaries on public access

    How about this Mikey, we wont forget those who tried to fuck us over for their own ego, you’re nothing more then a leftie version of Newt Gingrich

    • i_a_c

      and all he can do is do webcam documentaries on public access

      …or Current TV. Same difference.

  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1118928624 Mimi Schector

    Michael Moore should learn to shut up. He’s worn out his welcome. Thanks for posting this.

  • margietalks

    Has anyone stopped to think that maybe it’s all about the money? Right now there’s a book out about the Obamas. The book came out right now because right now is the only time that is important. Opportunity is upon us. In four years, the Obamas, regardless as to whether the president is re-elected or not, will be fading into irrelevance. The only people buying a book about them, then, will be people who are still interested. The presidents opponents are looking for every crumb they can come up with – making the book – hot! So it is not surprising that Michael Moore shows up again. I think he is a bit like Sarah Palin, with maybe a tad bit more intelligence. She had no interest in the presidency. She was interested in milking that fat cow of controversy. Right now, we can expect Michael Moore to be out there wringing his hands, trying to eek out another drop of concern to fill up a book or documentary, resulting in his increased wealth. Where’s he been before this election cycle started? And of course he sees himself as having some kind of power to interject into the election. I just think, besides him being a fame whore, that it’s all about the money.

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_OJ6ODY3GOJOY6DF5MQQHLZ542E The Seer

    All of the people who rose up to elect Obama in 2008 had better resolve to do it again in 2012, or we’ll be exposed to one more far-right Republican administration – all it will take to destroy their hopes for a better future for themselves and the nation.

  • http://twitter.com/KQuark KQµårk™

    It’s insane to say Dems don’t represent the views of the vast majority of the left. There is a group of Democrats that represent almost all liberal and progressive views. While there are ZERO Republicans that hold the even a simple majority of liberal views. It’s amazing how some of these liberals flock to Ron Paul who might share 10-20% of views with liberals and yet ignores a president that shares most of their views and a party that encompasses 90%+ of their views.