$500 Per Hour Lawyer to the Rescue

Following the ruling by a federal judge, who was appointed by former President Bush, that the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) is unconstitutional, John Boehner has decided to have his rather expensive laywer file an appeal in the Ninth Circuit Appeals Court.

The legal team backing the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) on behalf of Republican leaders in Congress will appeal a federal judge’s ruling which declared the sections of DOMA that define marriage as between a man and a woman unconstitutional.

The notice of appeal, first reported by Chris Geidner, was filed over the objections of Democratic leaders of the House. An appeal would send the case to the Ninth Circuit Appeals Court.

The Department of Justice announced that it would not defend DOMA in court on the grounds that the law is unconstitutional, and now that a federal judge has ruled that it is unconstitutional, John Boehner’s top-dollar lawyer Paul Clement will spring into action.

Paul Clement is also defending South Carolina’s voter suppression ID law, and Alabama’s “papers please” anti-immigration law. Both of which have also been designated unconstitutional.

Why do the Republicans hate the constitution?

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in LGBT and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • eljefejeff

    For republicans, the Constitution begins and ends with the 2nd Amendment. Although I believe many of them look back fondly upon the days when slaves were counted as 3/5 of a person.

    The constitution means whatever they think it means.
    If the courts agree with that perspective, the court is right. If they disagree, the court is populated by liberal activist judges legislating from the bench who need to be fired and replaced with people who agree with them on what the supreme law of the land really is.
    It’s really very simple. It dispenses with the need for reason, facts or any connection whatsoever to the world in which we live.

  • ainsleyroad

    Will this shit never end? Now some dickwad is trying to pass a law that gives any employer the right to refuse to cover any medical procedure/prescriptions/etc they see fit because “they” have a moral objection to it??? So, if I can donate an organ to save someone’s life my employer could refuse to cover that because they have a “moral” objection to it? What is going on here???? This country has officially turned into a fucking joke, thanks to the RWNJs.