And They Kept Going

I didn’t think the GOP would actually take my advice and keep going, but evidently that’s what they have decided to do.

The issue of birth control isn’t decided for them. The compromise of mandating coverage for insurance providers and not religious institutions isn’t good enough. Because this really has nothing to do with religious freedom. It has everything to do with A.) opposing the president no matter the cause and B.) keeping women down.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell pledged today that the Grand Obstructionist Party will do anything they can to reverse the president’s decision to grant birth control to women with no co-pay.

We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender…

Oh wait, that’s not it.

Here’s Mitch McConnell.

“If we end up having to try to overcome the President’s opposition by legislation, of course I’d be happy to support it, and intend to support it,” McConnell said. “We’ll be voting on that in the Senate and you can anticipate that that would happen as soon as possible.” […]

“The fact that the White House thinks this is about contraception is the whole problem. This is about freedom of religion, it’s right there in the First Amendment. You can’t miss it — right there in the very first amendment to our Constitution,” McConnell said. “What the overall view on the issue of contraception is has nothing to do with an issue about religious freedom.”

McConnell is lying through his teeth. This has nothing – absolutely nothing – to do with religious freedom.

You may have been able to get away with making that argument before the compromise, but this doesn’t hold up to even minute scrutiny.

The Republicans can’t win on national security, they can’t win on the economy, and they no scandals to impeach over. The culture war is all they have.

And by the way, can anyone show me the passage in the bible which reads “and thee shalt not provide birth control to thy neighbor.” Was that in the Ten Commandments and I missed it? Where’s Mel Brooks when you need him?

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in War On Women and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • jimtowndem

    The GOP is standing firm with their BFF the cardinals and bishops to keep women having lots of kids so they have fresh fodder to fuck.

  • West_of_the_Cascades

    This is exactly right. In some other contexts, I have some sympathy to religious freedom arguments — for example, I’m pretty convinced that the Supreme Court got the decision on peyote use by members of the Native American Church wrong in Employment Division v. Smith, and I think that the government should have to show a compelling interest when religious freedom REALLY is affected by a law. So in that case, the public employees should not have been fired for using peyote in their religious observances unless the state had a compelling reason to prohibit their employees form using drugs that otherwise were illegal as part of established religious practice.

    Interestingly to me, Employment Division v. Smith (a Scalia decision) should pretty much foreclose the GOP’s and Bishops’ arguments here as a matter of the constitutional law of “religious freedom” – the mandate to provide insurance coverage that includes contraceptive services is a law of general applicability which doesn’t prohibit the free exercise of religion and burdens everyone equally. But that sort of misses the point here, that this never was about religious freedom.

    Among the many things that sucks about the position the GOP is taking here is that it trivializes the First Amendment — and makes it harder for groups whose free exercise of religion IS burdened by the government (for example, Islamic groups trying to get permission to build mosques could be subject to discrimination based on their religious beliefs) to make their case.