Another Victory for Clean Energy

The Obama Administration today shredded miles of red tape and announced the approval of off-shore wind turbine farms off the Atlantic coast, paving the way for private leases.

As part of its clean energy agenda, the Obama administration announced Thursday that it’s moving forward to develop wind power off the coasts of four Mid-Atlantic states.

Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said federal environmental reviews for designated “wind energy areas” off Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey and Virginia are now complete and find “no significant environmental impact from the development of wind.” That finding clears the way for companies to seek leases.

“The wind potential off the Atlantic coast is staggering” and “no developer should have to wait nine to 10 years to get a lease,” Salazar told reporters, citing the possible creation of thousands of jobs and power for millions of homes. He said wind power is part of President Obama’s “all of the above” energy strategy that also calls for more oil and natural gas development.

But what will all those millionaire shoreline property owners do now that they have their view obstructed by turbines!? I guess they’ll have to visit one of their other homes more frequently.

I joke, but that really was one of the sticking points in the approval or disapproval of off-shore turbines.

Also — just like Bush!

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Alternative Energy and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Draxiar

    Denying Keystone XL and giving the green light for this is a double dessert! This should truly annoy alot of oil drunk stock holding conservatives. WOOT!

  • holyreality

    “Studies” show that Wind Power converts children to homosexuality, teaches Communism, and convinces wimmen to abort their babbies.

  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    Unlike Keystone, this will create actual jobs.

  • JWheels

    Unlike the Bush administration when Obama says all of the above it’s not a secret code for “oil only, and lots of it…” I think our official policy should be intense development in alternative energies and steering away from oil and nuclear. But in absence of that I am still very happy to see an administration doing everything it can to show that alternative energy is doable and is the right solution for the United States.

  • West_of_the_Cascades

    This post is seriously fucked up — saying that NEPA is “red tape?” What the fuck do you think killed Keystone? I fight projects that kill birds and fish for a living, and to say that a project of this magnitude “has no significant impact” is a fallacy. I am all for doing a full-scale environmental impact statement, frankly acknowledging the serious impacts of industrial energy generation, and then making an informed decision. But to say a project of this size has no “significant” impact is to make a mockery of the NEPA process and environmental review.

    It’s outcome-determinative to say “it’s green, therefore we can do away with all the environmental regulations and just fast-track it.” Industrial-scale wind power isn’t always green — it’s shown to be a major factor in bird and bat deaths. In 2009, an estimated 44,000 birds died at wind facilities. Read http://www.abcbirds.org/abcprograms/policy/collisions/wind_farms.html if you want some data.

    • http://twitter.com/KQuark KQµårk™

      Oh Jeez there is always some special interest group against something.

      Planes, trains, automobiles and structures kill far more birds than wind turbines ever will by factors of 100X+.

      “In the United States, cars and trucks wipe out millions of birds each year, while 100 million to 1 billion birds collide with windows. According to the 2001 National Wind Coordinating Committee study, “Avian Collisions with Wind Turbines: A Summary of Existing Studies and Comparisons to Other Sources of Avian Collision Mortality in the United States,” these non-wind mortalities compare with 2.19 bird deaths per turbine per year. That’s a long way from the sum mortality caused by the other sources.”

      http://www.treehugger.com/renewable-energy/common-eco-myth-wind-turbines-kill-birds.html