It's Cold in Alaska and Al Gore is Fat

Sarah Palin on her Facebook (ugh):

A friend emailed me this notice from her local Alaskan school today. As the school notice makes clear: anything above -55 degrees below zero is warm enough for our Alaskan young’uns! Global warming? What global warming?

Get it? It’s cold in Alaska therefore there’s no such thing as global warming. By this logic, if Palin’s hair isn’t on fire, then there’s no such thing as fire!

Such a moron.

Like all deniers, she’s confusing climate and weather. It’s cold in Alaska right now because it’s close to the Arctic during winter time. It’s dark most of the time during the winter months and the northern hemisphere is tilted away from the sun. In other parts of the world, it’s warm — even swelteringly hot. If you average all of the various temperatures from every part of the world at any given moment and chart them over time, the planet is getting warmer. FACT.

Doy.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Environment and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Art__VanDalay

    So dumb. I live in a cold Canadian city (Calgary) that had temperatures far above normal all winter until about 2 weeks ago. When we had our first cold snap mid January (something that usually happens in November or sometimes October) all the wingnuts commenting on weather stories in a local paper’s site were asking the same question. We have since returned to near double digit (Celsius) daytime highs predicted for the next couple of weeks, they’re pretty quiet now.

  • Robert Scalzi

    By her logic, because I have a full head of hair that must mean Baldness is a myth… Sheesh

      Likewise, my full beard and mustache PROVE that shaving is a myth.

      • Robert Scalzi

        Hell Yeah !!!!

  • GrafZeppelin127

    I’m dying to go skiing but there’s no snow in the northeast. In other words, shut up, Sarah.

  • JMAshby

    “It’s snowing! In winter! Where’s the global warming!?” -Sean Hannity

  • http://twitter.com/JimmyAbra Jimmy Abraham

    It is typical right-wing logic. Everything outside of their immediate area means nothing to the big picture…One crime in a small town that usually has no crime means huge national crime increase (probably because of illegals – there was no crime before the illegals, ya know)…Just like one little speck on the globe for one moment in time is cold, must mean there is not a larger trend…just like me being able to wear shorts in Wisconsin in January for a week does not really support either…it just gets put in – with the cold AK readings – to see the global trends…and we’re not even paying attention to the summer going on in the southern hemi…

    Also…what is wrong with her sibling/sibling-in-law allowing the nephew to snowblow in shorts when its -20?

  • Draxiar

    …and her “rabbit hole of stupid” keeps going further and further down…

  • BuffaloBuckeye

    Well, Bob, there’s the issue, in your last sentence. You used the verb “average”, which implies mathematical conjuring, which implies education. Not in Sarah’s world.

    And as I look out my back window in Buffalo, I see… green grass. And some tree branches that need picked up; gotta go.

  • villemar

    Don’t play “Got your nose!” with her, she’ll freak the fuck out.

      HAHAAAA!

    I live in Michigan and we have yet to have a major snowfall here this winter. VERY unusual.

    She can do her stupid thing all she wants, but she and the rest of the climate deniers have already doomed her children and grandchildren to wars over water, and other resources.

    They make me sick.

  • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

    It’s 60 in southern Ohio on February 1, therefore, global warming is real.

  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE. It is February 1st and my window is open. We really haven’t had much of a winter, actually. Some cold nights, two flurries of snow, and lots of warm rains. We’re having one of those today, in fact, which is why the window is open.

    January was full of tornado sirens; it’s gonna be a stormy April in Alabama.

  • trgahan

    The real problem is that in the public square, Sarah’s comments carry as much weight as a climatic scientist with 20 years experience. To paraphrasing Kurt Vonnegut, aliens will arrive on Earth to find a single sign saying: Welcome to Earth. We could have avoided all this, but we were too greedy and lazy to do anything about it.

  • KAboink

    Many Alaskan villages face relocation at costs of hundreds of millions of dollars due to coastal erosion caused by lack of sea ice protection and also too the collapse of buildings because the permafrost has been thawing deeper and deeper in their brief summers over decades. http://www.eoearth.org/article/Impacts_of_global_warming_in_Alaska
    It would appear that the Tundra Tootsie is ignoring what is taking place in her own state.
    I’m going to steal a quote from another blogger: ” Using Palin’s logic, there have been no tornados in in the midwest during December and January, so therefore Tornado Alley doesn’t exist”.

  • Corebela

    Last year here in London, Ontario there was I’m pretty sure 3 feet of snow at one point. I didn’t live here then but I was worried it would happen this year again. The fact that it’s instead warm enough to keep my balcony door open for half the day yesterday scares me much much more than getting a few feet of snow. This is why I wish I could just fly to another planet like superman.

  • drsquid

    It rained in International Falls yesterday. Rain. In America’s icebox. In January.

    But Al Gore is fat hardy har har har.