Keep Going John Boehner!

Here’s Speaker of the House John Boehner speaking out against the Obama Administration’s requirement that all health insurance plans cover birth control without co-pays.

“If the president does not reverse the Department’s attack on religious freedom, then the Congress, acting on behalf of the American people and the Constitution we are sworn to uphold and defend, must,” Boehner said. “This attack by the federal government on religious freedom in our country cannot stand, and will not stand.”

The Speaker said the House would take matters into its own hands with committee hearings and legislative action to push back if the administration declines to act.

“In the days ahead, the House will approach this matter fairly and deliberately, through regular order and the appropriate legislative channels,” Boehner said. He called on the Energy & Commerce Committee, which has jurisdiction over the issue, to take steps against the rule and “consider all possible options.”

Yes! Do it!

Please, take time out of congress’s busy schedule to legislate reproductive healthcare. Please, display to the nation that the culture war is more important to you than jobs or the economy. Demonstrate to America that nothing will get you moving like the tyranny of contraception.

Whatever action the House of Boehner takes, it will never become law. They’re just flailing. And I encourage them to keep going! Show America your ass.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Healthcare and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Chachizel

    Well, show us your ass, but…me and most Americans will likely turn away, so…as Mr Ashby says, Keep going John Boehner!!

  • Miranda

    Can someone explain to me why I am seeing so many “progressive” pundits on TV whining about “religious freedom” and completely LYING about the issue? WTF?!?! Why has there been no discussion on the talking head shows asking how this federal mandate is any different from the mandate imposed by 20 + states already?

    Official Code of Georgia Annotated § 33-24-59.6
    Legislative Declaration Regarding Contraception; Coverage for Contraceptives.

    excerpt:
    EVERY HEALTH BENEFIT POLICY THAT IS DELIVERED, ISSUED, EXECUTED, OR RENEWED IN THIS STATE or approved for issuance or renewal in this state by the Commissioner on or after July 1, 1999, WHICH PROVIDES COVERAGE FOR PRESCRIPTION DRUGS ON AN OUTPATIENT BASIS SHALL PROVIDE COVERAGE FOR ANY PRESCRIBED DRUG OR DEVICE APPROVED BY THE UNITED STATES FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION FOR USE AS A CONTRACEPTIVE. This Code section shall not apply to limited benefit policies described in paragraph (4) of subsection (e) of Code Section 33-30-12. Likewise, nothing contained in this Code section shall be construed to require any insurance company to provide coverage for abortion.

    There are Catholic hospitals here too, and I’ve never read about any protests or uproar from the Church over this.

    Something else is driving this uproar, don’t know what, but this aint all about “religious freedom”.

    • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_S7NUGMJ2FDHYATRLWFEFCC5CQI schemata

      Its something for the villagers and GOPers to get behind that takes focus off of an improving economy. They start talking about that, they lose.

      Also, when Boehner, or any of the other republicans, say “..acting on behalf of the American people..” they only mean the few that agree with them, because they are never, ever, wrong.

      • jjasonham

        EXACTLY.

    • missliberties

      I feel your passion.

      This is the stupidest issue on earth. Since many Catholic Hospitals already provide access to birth control.

      The right feels like they have glommed onto an issue, to rile up social conservatives.

    • missliberties

      Oh yeah and it might be, erm, you know, politically driven.

    • stacib23

      I think there are 11 states that don’t exempt the Church and we haven’t heard a peep.

    • i_a_c

      Nice post. I personally found it interesting that suddenly a few white, Catholic men have anointed themselves spokesmen for all Catholic women.

  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    Yes, keep going Republicans! Keep driving the independents away with more Terri Schiavo-level kulturkampf.

    • stacib23

      Wasn’t the senator that brought the whole Terri Schiavo thing to the public Santorum?

      • D_C_Wilson

        Yup

      • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

        He played a big role in that nontroversy and has spent part of this campaign season playing down his part.

  • Corebela

    Could be way off here but I’m betting that many many republicans use birth control. And only a small percerntage think it’s wrong. If I’m wrong then fuck they must never have sex.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Anyone remember back in 2010 when we were told over and over again that the tea party was all about the economy and had no interest in the culture war issues? Remember Cantor’s pledge that the House republicans would be focused like a laser on jobs this session?

    They don’t.

  • mrbrink

    Fighting this on the grounds of religious freedom relieves Catholics of their guilt for being lousy Catholics.

    Like one “good deed” washes away all sins.

    Like the Pope sitting on a gold and jewel encrusted throne telling people contraception is the devil.

  • stacib23

    Apologies for not pasting the link, but take a visit to the website of The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell and look at the video of the constitutional lawyer defending the administration’s decision about this issue. I practically gave the guy a standing ovation last night. He was so logical that O’Donnell (who was foaming at the mouth a couple nights ago) could only nod his head in understanding. Jeez, I wish somebody from the administration could make the cable rounds with this exact same argument – word for word.