Mandatory TV Viewing

PBS has produced a wonderful documentary based on Douglas Blackmon’s groundbreaking book, Slavery By Another Name.

The story reveals the unspoken history of “neo-slavery” in America — a phenomenon that lasted until around World War II. African Americans by the thousands were rounded up using ridiculous Jim Crow laws against such things as “vagrancy” and sold into slavery — hidden mines and factories dotting the South.

Check your DVR and local listings or watch it online here.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Racism and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • incredulous72

    Excellent documentary; I watched it last week. As hard and devastating as it was to watch, it gives the viewer an even more in-depth look at the institutional racism that has existed in this country long after the Civil War.

  • http://twitter.com/Mondo_dj A Garcia

    Amazing documentary, I watched this last week. It really gets you thinking about when slavery actually ended. This also made me think about our current state of affairs with the growth of the prison industrial complex in relation to our zero tolerance for formerly misdemeanor crimes committed by urban poor.

    • stacib23

      It lasted at least 100 years longer than the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

    Everyone should watch this, and if your children are over the age of 7, make them watch it too.

    This is just so necessary to understanding our world today, and it is essential to growing in the right direction as a country.

    It will make you cry, so grab the kleenex before you start. :)

  • Zen Diesel

    The documentary was eye opening, the con game that the South used to get free labor is a story, that every American should know about. I can certainly say that I wasn’t taught this in school. It puts in perspective, why the individuals from the Civil Rights Era, fought so hard for Equal Rights.

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_TLHIXVS2CHDJNWYPZJIZ5NNZ3A Robert

    As the immigrant labor is pushed out of the southern states by Arizona-type “papers please” laws, I cannot help but think of neo-slavery as some southern lawmakers have proposed that the crops should be picked by prison labor.

  • Christine Mitchell

    To see how the so-called “War on Drugs” is actually Jim Crow with a different name check out the book “The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness” by Michelle Alexander. Another eye opening topic.