McDonnell Backs Away from Ultrasound Bill

Another tentative victory for activism against these bastards.

[Virginia Governor] McDonnell is backing away from his previous wholehearted support of the measure. Earlier, he told ABC News he supports “the concept that a woman should have all of the information possible before she makes a decision about terminating a pregnancy.” Now, his office has clarified that he will “review” the bill if it passes the General Assembly.

He could still sign it, but it doesn’t appear to be on the same fast-track to passage as it was late last week.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Healthcare and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Guest

    Wonder if the goons in the Alaska Legislature will take the hint?

    Arkansas North

      Doubt it.

      Adding……I should say that the Virginia bill is much worse, although I don’t approve of either bill.

  • trgahan

    Rough translation: I govern a swing state, I was told we’re going to try to turn 2012 into a “cultural war” election, the initial polling numbers say that is a terrible idea, images alone of the procedure were killing us in the polls, and we hope we can quietly pass this once the news dies down to appease the base.
    Don’t know if anyone else has seen this, but Utah plans to pass a measure demanding the Federal government either return all Federal land to the state or sell it and give the state 5% of the profit. Another case of the “We love the Constitution!” Party passing a blatantly unconstitutional bill, which they have already set aside tax payer funds to defend.

      Arizona already passed a similar bill that says they can take Federal lands….SB 1546: Permits the state to acquire federal property through eminent domain unless the property was acquired by the federal government with the consent of the Arizona Legislature or consists of land held by a federally recognized Indian tribe.

      Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/election/azelections/articles/2011/04/29/20110429arizona-bills-brewer-24-vetoes.html#ixzz1n9Oq8bWU

      • incredulous72

        That CANNOT be legal.

          It probably isn’t but that never stopped the AZ GOP. Ever since Brewer became governor the state has been defending themselves against federal lawsuits challenging all the idiotic legislation they keep passing here….it’s so blatant that a lay person can tell that they are unconstitutional. And for this fun, tax payer money desperately needed for the indigent, mentally I’ll, schools, etc is instead going to fight these lawsuits….millions and millions of dollars. It’s just stupid…pissing in the wind.

          • incredulous72

            “And for this fun, tax payer money desperately needed for the indigent, mentally I’ll, schools, etc is instead going to fight these lawsuits….millions and millions of dollars.”

            EXACTLY. So much for their “small government.”

  • http://twitter.com/ferallike Feral Hussein Like

    McDOnnell now saying as of 3:30 PM EST that mandating an abdominal ultrasound is okay. http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/02/va-governor-opposes-invasive-ultrasound-before-abortion/1#.T0VX4IcS39U

    He’s still an asshole.

  • muselet

    Maybe Bob McDonnell won’t hold the planned ceremony—during which he was going to sign the bill with a pen shaped like a transvaginal ultrasound probe—but ultimately he will sign the bill into law. He has to, as an ambitious member of the “women’s bodies belong to us menfolk” party.

    –alopecia