Romney Goes All-In On Losing Michigan

Does Mitt Romney even want to win? That’s the question I begin asking myself after Mitt Romney decided to produce another column calling for the bankruptcy of Detroit.

Three years ago, in the midst of an economic crisis, a newly elected President Barack Obama stepped in with a bailout for the auto industry. The indisputable good news is that Chrysler and General Motors are still in business. The equally indisputable bad news is that all the defects in President Obama’s management of the American economy are evident in what he did. [...]

My view at the time — and I set it out plainly in an op-ed in the New York Times — was that “the American auto industry is vital to our national interest as an employer and as a hub for manufacturing.” Instead of a bailout, I favored “managed bankruptcy” as the way forward.

First of all, I would like to thank Mitt Romney for reminding Detroit and the rest of America that President Obama insisted on saving the auto-industry. I would also like to thank him for declaring it “indisputable” that Chrysler and Government General Motors are still in business. I’d also like to thank him for declaring that everything President Obama did can be seen in the current success of Detroit. And last but not least, I would also like to thank him for pointing a finger at his now-infamous New York Times op-ed “Let Detroit Go Bankrupt.”

As a Democrat, this is everything you would hope to see in a campaign for Democrats.

Now that that’s out of the way — what the fuck is he thinking?

“Managed bankruptcy” may sound rosy to a man like Mitt Romney whose former profession was bankrupting companies for profit, but to the layman, and to someone who works in the auto-industry, those are words they never want to hear. Especially not when the alternative, the bailout, was entirely successful.

And by the way, in what universe does it make sense to take this position after it has already been proven wrong when you’re currently trailing Rick freaking Santorum in the polls? What sense does it make to essentially say “everything President Obama did worked, but here’s why he’s wrong?” Is this the one flop he won’t flip?

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Election 2012 and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • i_a_c

    Romney needs to fire his campaign staff. I have no idea what his handlers are telling him, but this was a completely tone-deaf thing to do. Obama saved the auto industry, but he did it wrong? What the hell kind of argument is that?

    This is filed in the same category as saying stuff like “the economy is getting better but Obama made it worse.” That argument doesn’t even work on a superficial level. Either Romney is really that bad of a politician, or he’s getting some really bad advice.

      He is that bad. And he is too arrogant and too stupid to back away from what he said. From his world view,the auto bailout was a bad thing. To bankrupt GM and let a few people walk away with their assets would have been a better option in the view from Romney World. But what about the forty-five year old guy with twenty years at GM who provides for a family? That guy is suceessful and thriving today because the president took a principled stand. There is no future for that guy in Romney World. And I think the American people are really getting the full view on that now.

      • http://twitter.com/KQuark KQµårk™

        I tend to agree with you this is beyond tone deaf. This is utter arrogance we have not seen since the last GOP president.

    • zftcg

      Fortunately, he likes to fire people.

      • i_a_c

        LMAO! I teed that one up for you. =P

    • JackDaniel07

      What he meant to say was….wait, no thats not the one…..
      So much stuff just twirlin around in his head…..

  • sherifffruitfly

    I *would* start to wonder if Romney is really a Democratic plant, except that would require ascribing far more intelligence to Romney than I can rationally justify.

    “Managed Bankruptcy” is a something to keep harping on, since it sounds a lot like what Romney said about the housing market; which is “let it crash and burn so me and my buddies can buy it all for cheap.”

      “so me and my buddies can buy it on the cheap”

      I just sold my house to someone who paid cash for it…..75,000 in cash. Can you imagine? I can’t. And it pissed me off…it pisses me off that there are investors out there that helped create this shitty economy and profited from it. And now that so many are suffering, they profit from our suffering. That’s what Romney represents to me.

  • http://twitter.com/KQuark KQµårk™

    Romney doubling down on being wrong about the auto bailouts shows he is severely arrogant just like his GOP predecessor Bush. This is beyond Mittens’ usual tone deaf weakness. He is committing the ultimate sin of someone who wishes to lead by being willfully ignorant and obstinate.

    One of my favorite things about Obama is that he changes course when something does not work, ala the surge in Afghanistan and trying to work with Republicans too much. He might take a bit longer than some people like but that’s a laudable personal character trait.

    In Romney’s case he’s had a few years to reevaluate his position on the auto bailout and even though he has the answer key to the test, he sticks with the wrong answer again. He is totally denying the fact that GM would not be #1 in the world and tens of thousands of jobs would not only be lost but never have been regained. The president’s decision will inevitable create net positive job growth in the next year or two. However with Willard at the helm the whole supply chain for American car manufacturers would have been utterly destroyed using his prescription.

  • delosgatos

    It’s a fine line between clever and stupid…

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_TLHIXVS2CHDJNWYPZJIZ5NNZ3A Robert

    “‘Managed bankruptcy’ may sound rosy to a man like Mitt Romney whose former profession was bankrupting companies for profit, but to the layman, and to someone who works in the auto-industry, those are words they never want to hear. Especially not when the alternative, the bailout, was entirely successful.”

    GM and Chrysler DID go through managed bankruptcy, albeit with Fed. Government financing. What Romney failes to mention is that no bank would have provided either company financing to reorganize, nor could they considering the banks had f’n collapsed. Bain Capital sure did not step up the the plate.

  • rikyrah

    I can’t believe he doubled down. will make the General Election ads all the more wonderful.

    • GlassBull

      I don’t think Romney’s going to make it to the general election.

  • http://twitter.com/KQuark KQµårk™

    Face it Romney wrote this article to pander to the right wing base by bashing unions. But even they know he’s a fraud. I’ve read posts from right wingers using the union bashing angle to decry the auto bailouts. But Romney inarticulately self contradicts himself in this article and totally lost the gist of the right wing argument trying to sound too smart by half. Willard just can’t speak right wingese without severely putting his $10,000 bill in his mouth.

  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    They nursed a grudge, ooh, over a night
    Were so sure they wanted him to go
    Aiming low…aiming low
    But soon he was down, soon he was low
    At a midterm time…a holy no…
    They had it turned around

    The center couldn’t hold, oh…it folded…
    The dissonance is clear
    Extreme is never, the sanest path
    Oh, the dissonance, the dissonance is clear

    And to this day, they’ve grumbled on
    No one home and so far away
    Like a world misplaced
    Stupid to say, what a waste
    When they had contact…with the conflict…
    There was meaning, but they helped the corporate state
    They had it turned around

    The center couldn’t hold…it folded…
    The dissonance is clear
    Extreme is never, the sanest path
    Oh, the dissonance, the dissonance is clear, oh…oh…oh…

    They had an obsession and the center couldn’t hold…no…they folded…
    The dissonance is clear
    Extreme is never, the sanest path
    Oh, the dissonance, the dissonance is clear, oh…
    Couldn’t hold on…center couldn’t hold…no…it folded…
    The dissonance is clear
    Extreme is never the sanest place, oh…
    The dissonance is clear

  • mattpd

    crazy like a fox….nah, just plain crazy.

    are we sure this isn’t from the onion?