Romney Lied to CPAC. A lot.

Steven Benen — who is doing some of his best work for MaddowBlog — debunks Romney’s cavalcade of lies in his CPAC speech yesterday:

1. Romney claimed, “We are the only people on the earth that put our hand over our heart during the playing of the national anthem. It was FDR who asked us to do that, in honor of the blood that was being shed by our sons and daughters in far-off places.”

This is both untrue and rather strange.

2. Romney argued in a speech, “You know, like his colleagues in the faculty lounge, who think they know better, President Obama demonizes and denigrates almost every sector of our economy.”

Asked to back that up, the Romney campaign pointed to President Obama’s criticism of Wall Street recklessness, insurance company abuses, and oil companies. If those three represent “almost every sector of our economy,” then Romney doesn’t understand the private sector as well as he thinks he does.

3. Romney claimed, “Just this last week, this same administration said that in churches and the institutions they run, such as schools and let’s say adoption agencies, hospitals, that they have to provide for their employees, free of charge, contraceptives, morning-after pills — in other words abortive pills and the like at no cost.”

That’s not even close to being an accurate description of the policy.

4. Romney argued, “More Americans have lost their jobs during President Obama’s term than during any other President in modern history.”

That only makes sense if Romney holds the job losses from early 2009 — before Obama could even begin governing in earnest — against him. If you blame the president for job losses that occurred 11 days after his inauguration, then Romney’s claim is sort of true. If you’re willing to be fair, then Romney’s being deliberately misleading.

5. Romney once again insisted this week, “This is a president who began his presidency by apologizing for America.”

That’s a lie. It never happened.

More here.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Election 2012, Republican Party and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    The hand over the heart thing he keeps spouting is so weird. It’s either the lamest attempt at American exceptionalist ass kissing ever or it’s an incredibly oblique attempt to revive the wingnut freakout over flag pins and whatnot from 2008.

    Either way, it’s pretty stupid.

    • muselet

      Yup, it’s flag pins redux.

      And it’s very stupid.

      –alopecia

    • ifolkinrock

      There’s a picture circulating on Facebook and probably in your grandma’s chain emails that shows a bunch of people on a stage with hands on their hearts and Obama with his hands at his sides. I’m sure someone in the Romney campaign knows about this.

  • Ned F

    Thanks for that link to #1, I’ve never known of the Bellamy salute. What Romney says above, the majority of CPAC attendees accept as gospel truth anyway, no matter how easily debunked.

  • Brutlyhonest

    A republican lying? At a wingnut-a-thon? GETTHEFUCKOUTTAHERE!!!!!!

  • West_of_the_Cascades

    Note Steve’s parenthetical that this list did NOT included Romney’s CPAC speech lies — that’s a whole separate column that he needs to work on over the weekend.

    And I think I disagree with Steve’s conclusion:

    Paul Krugman, noting Romney’s dishonesty, recently said the Republican presidential candidate “seems confident that he will pay no price for making stuff up.” Given the frequency with which he repeats falsehoods, it seems clear Krugman was right.

    I don’t know if anyone has tried to poll this, but I suspect Romney has paid a price for his dishonesty — I’d guess that some percentage of Romney’s free-fall in popularity (from 43% to 29% in the last month) is attributable to people hearing easily-debunked lies over and over again. Some of these are lies that even relatively uninformed people are going to realize aren’t true – like the hand-over-heart when listening to a national anthem. There’s enough coverage of foreign sports (including the NHL when it plays in Canada) that probably everyone in the US at some point has seen a non-US person standing to their national anthem with his/her hand over his/her heart.

    So even though much of the media continues to fall down on its job of calling Romney on his blatant lies, I suspect that some of this is seeping through the cracks (either because of good reporters like Steve Benen, or folks like Bob who keep good fact checking like this moving through the interwebs, or just because enough people are able to figure out on their own that Romney lies on a regular basis) — and that it is what is partly being reflected in his cratering popularity.

  • http://twitter.com/KQuark KQµårk™

    The only saving aspect is that even the Republicans know he’s a liar and independents don’t like him already.