Roy Blunt's "Dangerous" Amendment

The White House is rightfully calling Blunt’s anti-contraception amendment exactly what it is. Dangerous.

“Let’s be clear about what’s at stake,” said Carney. “The proposal being considered in the Senate applies to all employers — not just religious employers. And it isn’t limited to contraception. Any employer could restrict access to any service they say they object to. That is dangerous and it is wrong. Decisions about medical care should be made by a woman and her doctor, not a woman and her boss.”

The measure, proposed by Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) would amend the Affordable Care Act to allow any employer to exclude any health service coverage, no matter how critical or basic, by claiming that it violates their religious or moral convictions. Moreover, according to the National Women’s Law Center, the amendment would remove critical non-discrimination protections from the Affordable Care Act. For instance, an insurer could deny maternity care coverage to a same-sex couple, an interracial couple or a single woman for religious or moral reasons.

Just a reminder. The anti-choice party is taking a position that will increase unwanted pregnancies. They’re not very bright. And I hope none of them are wasting sperm without conceptions taking place, or else they’re doomed.

I think most Americans understand the basic idea about birth control: if you think it’s immoral, don’t take it, but get out of the way of people who choose to use it. End of story.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Abortion and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • trgahan

    So let me get this straight. The government passing a law that requires a business owner to provide health care plan options with covered contraception is a gross over reach of power and an assault on the 1st Amendment. But that same owner forbidding an employee access to something because of the owner’s moral/religious beliefs is freedom in action? Never mind that most people with a moral belief of economic fairness only have the right to be pepper sprayed.

    • D_C_Wilson

      This is the party of “corporations are people, my friend”. Real people? Not so much.

  • niko tomlinson

    is this the free market version of death panels from the party that warned us all about these exact types of decisions being made by government?

      Exactly, so now your asshole boss, who is a Galtian overlord wannabe can now control reproduction by his employees. Absurd doesn’t even begin to describe it.

  • stacib23

    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion

    Would somebody please explain to me why this portion of the 1st amendment does not disqualify everything the Catholics are saying about the contraception rule?

    • i_a_c

      You’re absolutely correct about that. Even if you go to the next part of the First Amendment about not prohibiting free exercise of religion, it’s still wrong. The Wikipedia article on the Free Exercise clause cites SCOTUS rulings that say a “law of neutral applicability” does not invoke a constitutionality test. It’s a completely bogus argument.

      I always love the fact that conservatives love the Constitution so much, but only the parts they like. They appear to disregard everything the judicial branch has ever done.

      I think the Republicans’ argument for “religious freedom” is to gin up their base with the whole “Obama isn’t one of us” dogwhistle. It borders on race-baiting IMO.

  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    GOP 2009: Look out, Obama will install TYRANNY over your health care decisions!

    GOP 2012: Look out, we will now install TYRANNY over your health care decisions!

    This is a an obvious next step in the “Obama hates Christians” meme. I think it is time for the Catholic church to stand up and let the wing nuts know that they will not be used in the political fight any longer. I am reluctant to say this, especially since I am an ordained minister myself, but the only reason they don’t say anything is because it suits their religious agenda–for now.

    The Republicans have clearly lost focus. The economy is getting better; unemployment is decreasing daily; Obama’s approval ratings are going up. Oh, and not to mention, Obama’s decisions and Seal Team Six’ military tactics are mopping up what’s left of Bin Laden’s mess. So the Republicans don’t have anything to rage against, so they have to pick another issue to show their higher standards of morality. (Imagine the moral turpitude of people who use contraceptives to prevent an unwanted pregnancy.) And the Catholic bishops are going right along with it because it fits their agenda so well. Bless you wingnuts!

    But I wonder, do the republicans know everything that the Catholic church is against? Sure, they are against abortion. Most people see abortion as a women’s health issue–and contraception as well. The Catholics see one as murder–the other as a sin. Notwithstanding that most sexually active Catholics in the U.S. use some form of contraception, the bishops still say it is a sin. So Frothy Sntorum and the wingnuts are willing to go right along with that moral doctrine if it makes the president look bad and furthers the meme that he is anti-Christian. But again, what else are Catholics against Frothy? The death penalty–you guessed it. (You and the wingnuts can cheer for it at a Republican debate, but the Catholic church is staunchly anti death penalty.)

    In my Christian world-view, if you are in for an ecumenical penny, then you are in for a pound. Don’t keep using the Catholic church as a moral standard when you are not willing to comply with all of the doctrine. Most wingnuts are wild-eyed, salivating, pro-death penalty and do not even care if some state like Texas gets it wrong from time to time. (Remember during the raucous applause at the debate when somone pointed out “It takes courage to make a decision when you could be wrong?” OMFG! (Sorry)

    The real problem is, the Catholic church hasn’t got the guts to tell the Republicans to work their own side of the morality street. And evangelicals love and promulgate the Obama hates Christians meme. The only upside to this is that the Republicans are running out of talking points. A contraception amendment is not going anywhere. Roy Blunt knows it; the Catholic church knows it; and so does every woman in this country who will soon make their voices heard and the Republicans will be even less relevant than they are now. (if that’s possible.)

    • D_C_Wilson

      “I think it is time for the Catholic church to stand up and let the wing nuts know that they will not be used in the political fight any longer.”

      Have you heard what the bishops have being saying about this? They’ve gone all in for the GOP on this issue.

        Yeah, I know. They are a bunch of gutless hypocrites–just like the wingnuts. I don’t really expect them to standup and let the wingnuts know they are tired of being political pawns in a loser’s game.

        • ArrogantDemon

          You got a bishop in Sioux City calling for violence about this contraception requirement, and calling contraception something of the devil.

          No, they wont back down on this.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Message from the GOP: Your health care is private matter between you and your doctor. And your insurance carrier. And your employer.

    Nice.

    So, I hope nobody working for a Jehovah’s witness needs a blood transfusion or an employee of a Jenny McCarthy acolyte needs to vaccinate their children.

  • ArrogantDemon

    They dont care, they want this binky beause all their other toys are not around anymore.