Send Your Medical Bills to Rick Santorum

Rick Santorum thinks birth control is cheap.

SANTORUM: [I]nterestingly enough, here is what they are forcing them to do — in an insurance policy, they or forcing them to pay for something that costs just a few dollars. Is that what insurance is for? The foundational idea that we have the government tells you that you have to pay for everything as a business. Things that are not really things you need insurance for, and still forcing on something that is not a critical economic need, when you have an economic distress, where you would need insurance. But forcing them even more to do it for minor expenses.

ThinkProgress added up the reality of birth control expenses:

In reality, oral contraceptives or “The Pill” range between $35 and $250 for the initial provider visit and the cost of a monthly supply of pills ranges between $15 and $50 a month, which amounts to between $180 and $600 a year depending on woman’s medical coverage. This means some women without insurance coverage for contraception may pay over $850 the first year of their prescription. Other forms of birth control are far more expensive. For instance, the cost for a monthly supply of birth control patches ranges from $15 to $80 dollars, or between $180 and $960 a year. Combined with the doctors visit, uninsured women could spend over $1,200 dollars in the first year.

But since Santorum thinks this is “just a few dollars” I think women should send their birth control receipts to Rick Santorum. Maybe he’ll pick up the tab.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Healthcare and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    The foundational idea that we have the government tells you that you have to pay for everything as a business. Things that are not really things you need insurance for, and still forcing on something that is not a critical economic need, when you have an economic distress, where you would need insurance. But forcing them even more to do it for minor expenses.

    Can someone diagram this paragraph? Does it even mean anything?
    I keep reading it and I can’t figure out WTF he thinks he’s saying, much less whether or not the words come remotely close to it.

    Frankly, I consider avoiding making a fully dependent human being that I must feed, clothe and house for the next 18 fucking years to be a SEVERELY critical economic need.

    Stupid Jesus freaks.

    • JackDaniel07

      When I first read your comment, I thought…WTF is Avi smoking today, holy shit what a wacky prose….
      Then I realized you were quoting the Frothmeister

  • bphoon

    Aside from being stupid (par for the course for Santorum), that whole statement reads as nearly incoherent.

    Santorum’s just another flavor of the month. His good fortune is that he became so during the primaries. He’s still the same dipshit he’s always been.

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_PZRI4FSGXWS3HSBOCS3V7DKOKI Fred

    Once again proving the GOP does NOT understand how much money the Middle Class actually manages to live on.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Well, from point of view of the insurance companies, birth control is cheaper than paying for nine months of prenatal care, the delivery, and then adding another person to the policy for the next 20 years or so.

    At least until they can figure out a way to declare “being born” to be a pre-existing condition.

  • muselet

    This is yet another pitch for the nutters’ favorite idea, catastrophic health care insurance; the difference here is the incoherence and Rick Santorum’s disgust with the very idea of contraception.

    I said the other day that when he tries to be serious, Santorum sounds like he’s just suffered a severe blow to the head. I stand by that assessment.

    –alopecia