So Much for Anti-Obama Hysteria

Regular people are donating to the president’s re-election campaign in record numbers.

According to an analysis by The Huffington Post, the Obama reelection campaign committee, Obama for America, pulled in at least 45 percent of its contributions from donors giving less than $200 during each of the fundraising quarters it was active in 2011.

In 2007-2008, there was only one quarter, from April through June 2008, during which the campaign pulled in more than 40 percent from these small donors. It never had a quarter or month where it raised 45 percent or more from small donors.

This is another strong indicator that the anti-Obama smearfest on the left is out of touch with the rest of the American left. Most Americans and, indeed, most of the left thinks President Obama has been an effective and admirable president worthy of a second term, and they’re clearly not afraid to invest their money into the effort.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Election 2012 and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • JMAshby

    “If only 45 percent came from small donors, that obviously means we only own half of his presidency. The other half is owned by ‘The Bankers!’ But the bankers own us so they really own his entire presidency!!1″ – the pro. left

    Meanwhile, in reality, take a look at Romney’s donations. People donating under $200 are so rare they may as well not exist.

    • http://twitter.com/KQuark KQµårk™

      LOL Yup that’s what they will say. But obviously these numbers show how little they really matter and they never donated to his campaign the first time around.

      The reality of course is Obama is the least owned politician in Washington because there are no individual donors or industries he is dependent on, save for maybe unions. Ooops! that doesn’t fit the meme.

  • MrDHalen

    The talking heads on cable are also missing one HUGE point; President Obama is barely campaigning right now. He’s doing little events here and there, but wait until this summer when he comes out with his guns blazing.

    Democrats have more enthusiasm for this election then the Republicans and we don’t even have a primary battle going on.

    • D_C_Wilson

      The media has invested in the meme that Obama is going to have a tough time getting re-elected and could very well lose.

      The reality is that, the longer the GOP primary drags on without a clear frontrunner, the more presidential he looks just by comparison.

      • Chris Andersen

        Obama could lead Romney by 70-30 in polls and the media would still find ways of portraying the race as close because it is in their financial interest to have a long, protracted battle.

  • ranger11

    I’ve donated a small amount. I guess I’m either a sucker or a dumb motherfucker.

    • i_a_c

      I’ve donated a little as well. I’m one of the dumbest motherfuckers in the world.

  • Maritzasolito

    I am one of those “broke” people that donate to our president’s re-election campaign and will continue making my little deposits untill he/we win again!!!

    • nathkatun7

      I am with you Maritzasolito! I contribute at least $25 a month. I know it’s not much, but I figure that if a million of us sent $25 a month the campaign would raise $25 million without having to sell the President’s soul to big corporate money. If a million of us sent $10 a month the campaign would raise $10 million. If a million of us could only afford just $3 the campaign would still raise $3 million in a month and 9 million in a quarter. Just imagine if ten millions of us sent in just $3 a month. President Obama’s campaign could raise $90 million in a quarter! This would be nothing to sneeze about!

      I don’t care if Jane thinks I am a “dumb motherfucker.” All I know is that Big Corporate money people, and billionaires like the Koch brothers, are hell bent on defeating President Obama because he has not caved to their interests. That, more than anything else, tells me that President Obama is looking out for the interests of ordinary people. The only chance the President has to fight back against the powerful groups, with tons of cash to spend to defeat him, is for us common people to band together and support him in any way we can.

  • nathkatun7

    I am a proud member of the 45 percent!

  • http://twitter.com/JPFrankenstein JPFrankenstein

    I donated…just not sure why we can’t all agree that he’s been an effective – centrist – president during his first term. I’m as happy as anyone that we have ‘universal’ healthcare in this country, but it’s still a plan designed by the heritage foundation. Not exactly a liberally implemented program.

  • Townview Reconnections

    How is it so many forget what a clusterfudge the President inherited.
    Not to mention:
    an earthquake in Haiti
    an oil spill in the Gulf
    an earthquake and tsunami in Japan
    a Euro-debt crisis
    the Arab Spring.

    All of which in one way or another hurt the US economy at one point.

    • http://www.aquariusmoon.info CarolDuhart

      Not to mention more than his share of crazy, cattywompus weather, and crazy opposition.

      BTW, I’m loving the fact that the SuperPac business is backfiring on the Republicans. They thought that all that money would be directed at Obama. But somebody forgot to tell the billionaires backing various Republican Candidates about the 11th Commandment, so millions are being spent now. Obama is barely being touched right now, and by the time the SuperPacs get to him, he’ll have his own well-funded SuperPac to counter.

  • mnpollio

    A lot of that has to do with the limited options. Do you contribute/vote for Disapointing or Batsh*t Crazy? No one wants to see Batsh*t Crazy get in, so they pony up for disappointing. It is exactly what I am doing and what most people I know are doing. Hoping to buy Disappointing one more term and ward off the Batsh*t Crazy and then hope holding Disapointing’s feet to the fire in a second term gets some faster forward momentum going. In a way it is like deciding whether one would rather have pneumonia or syphilis. No one really wants pneumonia, it takes a lot out of you and leaves you ragged, but it is a giant step up from syphilis. But no one can say that both aren’t unpleasant in their own ways and you really want neither. One can only hope that if Obama is re-elected that he doesn’t waste two-three years of his term trying to compromise and find common ground with his Republican adversaries again, or suddenly pivoting again and trying to force the Republican austerity agenda down everyone’s throats.

  • http://twitter.com/shackdaddy12 Darius Mashack

    An even telling number is that 98 % of the Presidents donations are under 250 dollars.. a different number than this one stating 45% of the money accumulated for the campaign is under $200… if 98% of the Presidents donations are under $250 I have no clue how the Firebaggers can claim that the President has lost his base.. in reality he lost some of hillary’s base who were never behind him in the first place.. 20bama12