State Sponsored Rape in Alabama

Alabama — shocker — is picking up where Virginia left off.

WASHINGTON — Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley (R) said Sunday morning that he has just learned about the transvaginal ultrasound bill pending in the state legislature and has not studied it.

The Alabama Senate is slated to start debating the controversial legislation as early as Tuesday after the bill passed the health committee last week. The bill — similar to one just amended in the Virginia legislature — requires women to undergo an ultrasound prior to receiving an abortion. It says either an external or transvaginal ultrasound would need to be performed, and that women would not have a decision as to which procedure would be used. Transvaginal ultrasounds are needed to detect an embryo in the earliest weeks of pregnancy. [...]

“I just read about it this morning,” Bentley told The Huffington Post after a meeting of the National Governors Association Health and Human Services Committee in Washington on Sunday.

Way to stay on top of things, Gov. No word on whether Dueling Banjos will be played during this awfulness.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Healthcare and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    Am planning to be there and stream it live.

  • trgahan

    So how did abortion lead to the Wall Street deregulated, subprime mortgage fueled melt down? How is making getting an abortion more difficult for women too poor for a private physician, they are called “uterine cleanings” after a level of certain net worth, going to fix the issues that poll after poll shows Americans care most about?
    Do we need any more evidence that most State Governments are bastions of the far right fringe? Is it any surprise the federal government has had to intervene in States issues repeatedly in the last 50 years to get us anywhere near a land of equality?

    • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

      The Republican legislators pushing this bill are not chiefly concerned with any of that. They are pursuing a victory for their political brand.

      • mrbrink

        …and putting the blame on big government encroaching on states’ rights. They are of course the tyrannical authoritarian saviors of old timey values.

      “Is it any surprise the federal government has had to intervene….”

      Evidently it’s news to many conservatives like Ron Paul who want to strip the Feds of supremacy powers and just let the states handle it. My response to that is “Over my cold, dead and unprobed body”. Dems have been so focused on getting back the White House we forgot to watch our back door vulnerability–state wackaloons.

  • Zen Diesel

    Can we just let the Southern States cede or succede, “not sure which”, from the Union, “No offense to those who live in one of the Southern States”. Not quite sure how a vaginal probe, is going to create jobs.

    • D_C_Wilson

      It will if you’re an ultrasound technician.

  • Brutlyhonest

    I’m wondering if this happens to make the “news” like VA’s debacle did, will the news readers have the guts to use the medical term this time? I highly doubt it. After all, it’s harmful for kids to hear anything related to the word vagina. Erectile dysfunction ads are fine, though.

  • mrbrink

    I have no other conclusion to draw from this other than Hedley Lamarr is now in control of the republican party’s agenda and they’re pulling an old “Number 6.”

    Hedley: Qualifications?

    Applicant: Rape, murder, arson, and rape.

    Hedley: You said rape twice.

    Applicant: I like rape.