Strict Constitutionalists

And when I say “strict,” what I mean is “strictly ignore” the constitution.

The Constitution provides that acts of Congress “shall be the supreme law of the land” which is why states do not have the power to ignore federal law. Nevertheless, five Georgia state senators — including Majority Leader Chip Rogers (R) and senate President Pro Tempore Tommie Williams (R) — apparently do not believe that the Constitution applies to them. All five lawmakers introduced a wildly unconstitutional plan to have Georgia and its citizens simply ignore laws that its conservative leadership doesn’t want to follow.

More from Turley

Our friends in Georgia are taking the same path as Gov. Rick Perry chose in Texas when he pushed through a bill that would nullify a Federal law concerning light bulbs. It is amazing to me that in the year 2012, we are even having this discussion. The Supremacy Clause of the Constitution, Article 6, Clause 2, makes it very clear that Federal law is the “law of the land”.

“This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding.” U.S. Constitution The Supreme Court has upheld and confirmed the supremacy of Federal law over conflicting State legislation. But this idea of States nullifying Federal legislation continues to fester.

Nullification. Because it worked so well in the past.

Meanwhile, these are the same people who will tell you that President Obama is the one who is assaulting the constitution. And apparently he has a funny way of doing that, wherein he frequently references the need to avoid constitutional conflicts.

The Republican Party is permanently locked in Crazy Season.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Wingnuts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    It is amazing to me that in the year 2012, we are even having this discussion.

    Methinks Lawrence Rafferty hasn’t been paying much attention to the news since November 2008.

    Even our old friend, Ron Paul has come out as a supporter of this alleged power of States nullification of Federal law. Ron Paul. Does it surprise you that a sitting U.S. Congressman would have these views?

    If it weren’t Ron Paul, I might be surprised.

      I thought the same thing, Alo. Ron Paul is simply playing the southern lost cause strategy because it fits into his screwed up theories. The incredible denial of what this would mean in reality, the dissolution of our Union, borders on insanity.

  • holyreality

    Bob Parry hits it out of the park;
    http://consortiumnews.com/2012/02/24/madison-father-of-the-commerce-clause/

    Semantic arguments about gummint power and states rights all fall short of historical fact.

    The trouble is, TP nation is impervious to fact. The mere utterance from a Rush, Beck, or Hannity legitimize outright falsehoods into inside the bubble factoids.

    Sane people can be reached with a description of the Articles of Confederation fitting what the Koch Bros taught the TP faithful. Once the Articles are shown to be unendurable, and the US Constitution that establishes a strong Federal power is what preserved our union, we may be able to convince government haters that Reagan was wrong.

    The Gasden flag was misappropriated by the costumed set. It was meant for British eyes, the one for colonial eyes was the join or die flag that one never sees at TP rallies.

    Our job is to try to reach the deluded, and show facts to fence sitters.