The Million Dollar Obamabot

Bill Maher wins the day.

During a performance of his comedy special “CrazyStupidPolitics” Thursday night, Maher announced a gift of $1 million to Priorities USA Action, an Obama-supporting super PAC. While he mocked the group’s clunky name, saying it was “named by Borat,” his publicist said that Maher was deadly serious about the donation and believed a second term for Obama was “worth a million dollars.”

I hope he’s prepared for the onslaught of cranky absolutist progressives who will insist he just paid $1 million so President Obama could punch hippies and kill babies for another four years.

  • sherifffruitfly

    I’m waiting for Feingold and Kucinich to call for impeaching Maher.

    • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

      From his cable comedy throne.

  • GrafZeppelin127

    Either that or they’ll start naming charities or causes he could and should have given it to.

  • holyreality

    I suppose President Obama is better than a possible Pres Santorum punching women, and arresting hippies.

  • http://twitter.com/KQuark KQµårk™

    I’m a bit shocked that Maher would donate this big amount because he is on of the people that always complains about Obama.

      Yup. And in an extremely disrespectful way. IMO, Maher is a bigot.

      • villemar

        Nah, he’s been more and more steadfast in his support of Obama over time. Although he does whine on occasion and sometimes faisl to correct Firebagger lies, he especially gets the racist element of Obama hate.

        So, sure, why not! Thank you Bill Maher!

          What about the racist stereotypes he ascribes to the Pres?
          Sanford and Son

          the whole gangster schtick Maher does

          In 2009, back when I was still reading Huffpost, Maher had a new and stupid post up damn near weekly, 99% of them attacking Obama. That’s when he began using the sanford and son thing.

          a couple of examples:

          http://youtu.be/UeDPWaLWKCc

          http://youtu.be/6IxH-rSI3hM

          IMO, the reason for the donation could be really simple. , after all, Maher is both a Democrat and a smart man. He may just be supporting the Democrat and the guy who isn’t whacko crazy (unlike the repub candidates).

          Overall I stand by what I said. I’ve heard enough remarks from closet racists to have a pretty decent feel for it, and Maher’s remarks make me uncomfortable.

          • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

            He’s a comedian. And not in the angry white boy on the internet “it’s a joke,” kind of way. He’s an actual comedian.

            Not all comedians can pull it off, but Maher’s bits on race have always been lighthearted absurdity.

            We can’t be this overly sensitive. Hell, George Carlin once called Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor “niggers” during his act about how words are just words and the context is what’s important.

            Bill Maher is not a bigot. You’d have a great case calling him a sexist, but a bigot, he is not.

            Razor, I respect your opinion, very much so, but I have to disagree in this instance.

          • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

            That’s fair, and likewise… but as a lifelong fan of edgy comedy and pushing the envelope, I’ve always valued humor and free speech above feelings and political correctness.

            Chez wrote a good piece on this when Tracy Morgan lost his mind. I don’t agree with it entirely, but it’s close-ish.

            http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chez-pazienza/defending-tracy-morgan_b_876387.html

          • villemar

            Well his show is still basically Politically Incorrect renamed, and he does have a lot of contrarian positions, and he says shit that makes me uncomfortable once in a while. But that’s his schtick, and if he crosses the line the AA community has every right to call him out, and honestly I haven’t seen them doing so.

            Maybe it’s because he is really the only guy on American television outside of the cable news networks who is constantly calling out the Republicans for their racism on a weekly basis. Did you hear or see his final New Rule last week? Few people can get away with calling them out like that. But he sure did.

            Is he a perfect spokesman for Democrats/ liberals? Hell no. But I’d rather have him on the inside pissing out than on the outside pissing out.

            From News One Black America:

            It seems like every week Real Time with Bill Maher host Bill Maher has an interesting new name for President Obama that sparks some controversy.

            What makes this even more interesting is that Maher is a liberal and an Obama supporter, but many still feel some of the names he coins the president are racist and offensive.

            I don’t think that the AA community wants to believe that Maher is a racist, but it is pretty clear that they’re thinking about it. I know I would be.

            This is one example. I’ve seen other similar comments on AA blogs.

            His remarks really bother me, villemar.

          • mrbrink

            Bill Maher’s not reaching anyone who wasn’t already there. Wingnuts aren’t watching. I’m not watching and haven’t for months, but not because I don’t want to, and not because I don’t have HBO, but because I’m not getting any new information and my time isn’t cheap– It’s just one perspective on the news of the week. I have enough perspective of my own and don’t really care enough about Bill Maher’s to stay plugged in.

            Where Bill Maher treads the racial divide is where inconvenienced high-society cocktail drunks walk the DUI line. It’s not really edgy to me, at least not in a natural sense, or comedic evolution. And it’s not really opening doors because the laughs are mostly heard, essentially, behind closed doors. And there’s just no comparing Bill Maher’s to George Carlin’s, or even Louis CK’s approach to racial humor. There’s a huge difference. And Bill Maher’s kind of a dick, although pretty brilliant in his own right, but, and I think this is the most important point– he doesn’t seem to calculate his racial observations in any responsible, or constructive way. It’s pretty low bar stuff.

            And an edit to add, from a PR standpoint, a million dollars could buy a lot of Sanford & Son jokes. Time will tell.

    • KXA

      Why be shocked? Maher is clearly putting his money where his mouth and heart is. Why the desire for such Obama ideological purity? Are there not a number of reasonable criticisms of this President? Obama is not the “Dear Leader”!

      • villemar

        Guh

        Yeah, you’re probably right. Obama isn’t really “dear leader”, more like President Sanford and Son. At least according to Bill Maher.

  • Lexamich

    Very gracious.

    I see both sides of this argument. I think there is something missing though. A comedian is similar to an actor…there’s the character they play on stage and then there is their personal life and beliefs. I think that’s what’s going on with Maher. And MrBrink is right, his politically incorrect humor is pretty low bar and nowhere near as brilliant as Louis CK or Carlin and it makes it more likely that his onstage personality and his real-life personality are separate things. And Nicole, I saw the Yahoo special and when he said that he thinks Pres. Obama’s second term will be “black” term….I was uncomfortable…and we’re uncomfortable because it’s not all that funny nor clever. It makes a difference.

      I agree with some of what you said, IG.

      it makes it more likely that his onstage personality and his real-life personality are separate things.

      But not that aspect of it, which makes a big difference. I believe that Maher is no actor. What you see is what you get. He is who he is. Of all the comedians I can think of, Maher is most likely to be performing from his own very flawed core.

      I don’t think his routine re the Pres is funny or intelligent or informative, just over the line and stupid.