The USS Gabrielle Giffords

I can’t think of a better way to celebrate the service of Gabrielle Giffords than to name a Navy ship after her.

The Navy’s newest ship will be the USS Gabrielle Giffords.

Navy Secretary Ray Mabus made the announcement at a Pentagon ceremony today, calling Giffords someone whose name is synonymous with courage.

Former Rep. Gabby Giffords looked on at the Pentagon as Mabus made the announcement in a public ceremony. Also in attendance at this afternoon’s brief ceremony in the Pentagon Courtyard was Roxana Green, the mother of 9-year-old Christina-Taylor Green.

Christina-Taylor was among those killed in last year’s deadly shooting rampage in Tucson that targeted Giffords as she met constituents outside a supermarket. Roxana Green will be the ship’s sponsor.

More on the USS Gabby here.

USS Gabrielle Giffords (LCS-10) will be an Independence-class littoral combat ship of the United States Navy. [...]

The Giffords will be the 17th naval ship to be named for a woman, and the 13th ship to be named for a living person since 1850.

This kind of recognition is not handed out on a whim. It’s a true honor.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Not Politics and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    I refer the reader to Mitt Romney’s nonsense about the shrinking US Navy. This new ship is of far smaller tonnage than a carrier or even a destroyer because it is designed for the low-intensity conflicts we actually face rather than the Cold War faceoff against a Soviet Union. The Navy has been shrinking the size of boats for a decade now — and not because they want to “surrender.”

  • Scopedog

    Nice to see this.

  • Bob McIntosh

    I like that Christina-Taylor Green’s mother will be the ship’s sponsor. It’s quite an honor (especially for someone who is not politically connected). It’s the very least we can do.

    • JoyP

      What is a ship’s sponsor? Sounds silly, but I’ve never heard the term before. Thanks!

      • http://twitter.com/AlanFors Alan Fors

        From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

        A ship sponsor, by tradition, is a female civilian who is invited to “sponsor” a vessel, presumably to bestow good luck and divine protection over the seagoing vessel and all that sail aboard.[1] In the United States Navy and the United States Coast Guard the sponsor is technically considered a permanent member of the ship’s crew and is expected to give a part of her personality to the ship, as well as advocate for its continued service and well-being.

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_PV5DBDIKXFCTWDOKXCDWNHJU2A Fabian

    You name a weapon designed to kill as many people as possible after the target of an assassination attempt.

    You probably have to be from an different country than the US to find that very cynical.

  • holyreality

    My right winger military friends are all enraged with naming a war vessel after a liberal who fuels the antigun arguments.

    President Obama may as well called it the USS Karl Marx they are that mad.