Those Lazy Guys Who Won WWII

Rick Santorum yesterday:

But remember, the Greatest Generation, for a year and a half, sat on the sidelines while Europe was under darkness, where our closest ally, Britain, was being bombed and leveled, while Japan was spreading its cancer all throughout Southeast Asia. America sat from 1940, when France fell, to December of ’41, and did almost nothing.

That generation was a lot of things, but lazy and unresponsive don’t qualify. They sacrificed more and shed more blood than Santorum could ever imagine.

Way to support the troops, Rick. Patriotic of you.

  • Miranda

    Is he having a stroke?

  • drsquid

    He does know that for conservatives, unresponsive was what they wanted, right?

    Conservatism – morally bankrupt since the inception of the republic.

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_TLHIXVS2CHDJNWYPZJIZ5NNZ3A Robert

    If Romney does not run that in an ad in Michigan, he is a fool.

  • http://twitter.com/JimmyAbra Jimmy Abraham

    I am starting to think (becoming a conspiracy theorist, am i??) the plan, all along, is to bring on the ‘surprise’ nominee at the convention and let these clown car drivers take the heat to shield the “real” nominee…to give the dems less time to plan the “attack”…which could be the reason once someone takes the lead they get a bigger case of “the stupids”. Granted the plan can really backfire when they realize all the voters realize their primaries and caucuses was for nothing.

      As something of an arm-chair conspiracy theorist myself, I agree with you. But truthfully, I think what we are feeling is that these sneaky bastards would do anything to beat Obama. No matter who gets sacrificed in the process.

    • D_C_Wilson

      I’ve heard a lot of conspiracy theories. My favorite is that this whole circus is designed to make Romney look more reasonable and moderate. If that one is true, then it’s backfiring horribly.

      The problem with any of them is that they all depend on the assumption that the GOP leadership is able to manipulate the base to suit their needs. All evidence indicates instead that the leadership has completely lost control of the base and the inmates are running the asylum. Personally, I think the current state of the GOP is the direct result of 25 years of Fox promoting the dumbest, most knee-jerk reactionary excuse of “thought” among the base. They’ve created this monster that believes everything that comes out of Hannity and Limbaugh’s pieholes and now they can’t reign it in.

      The GOP is now a multi-headed beast that is united only in their collective hatred of all things liberal, as represented by the moderate and pragmatic president. Every candidate now has to continue to try and top each other as they play to the biggest idiots in the nation.

  • Dave Gesell

    I think he was just expressing disappointment that patriotic Americans didn’t do what he would do in that situation. And what he would do is muster a private army, and start building fighter planes, bombers, tanks and battleships and prepare to invade. It’s the only reasonable response.

    /sarcasm

    What was the intent of that statement? How does any of that possibly translate to “Rick Santorum should totally be President”?

  • holyreality

    My teabagger armchair historian agrees. She told me that “we” should have gone over and stopped those pesky nat-sees sooner.

    I’m serious.

    • andrewdski

      Yeah, if only Roosevelt hadn’t overruled the Republicans in congress and prevented us from doing that.

      WTF?!

  • jmby

    Tell that to my grandfather’s three brothers. One flew missions over Europe, one did the same in the Pacific, and one fought on the ground in the Pacific. To my family’s eternal thanks, all returned physically unharmed, but one brother was never emotionally and psychically well after his service. My friend, Jack, never met his father – he was shot down over France, survived the fall, and died in a French farmhouse – with the French farmers -when the Germans found him.

    So, regardless of the context of this comment, Rick Santorum should be ashamed those words left his mouth.

    • http://twitter.com/KQuark KQµårk™

      What Santorum said is an outrage. I had three uncles in WWII. They are all gone now and I miss them all. They were far far from lazy. In fact two of them worked in the coal mines before and after the war.

  • andrewdski

    The link is to American Conservative Magazine. After getting past the prominent featuring of Pat Buchanan, I’m amazed. There are rational, thoughtful conservatives? Check out some of the articles. Check out the reasonable, non-wingnut comments.

    I need that “WTF Is this shit” Picard picture here!

    Oh, and yes, what the hell is Santorum thinking? Isn’t the GOP base predominantly old white men, who are unlikely to take kindly to this sort of thing?

    • BuffaloBuckeye

      True. Unless he’s playing to the Ron Paul noninterventionist base. ;)

  • http://twitter.com/KQuark KQµårk™

    Republicans try to revise history in an Orwellian fashion.

    It was the REPUBLICANS that kept us out of the war in Europe. FDR did everything he could including many things illegal to help the Allied war effort. We were pretty much Britain’s supply line including arms for those 1.5 years.

  • trgahan

    Nothing like telling your key demographic (and all their children and grandchildren) they pussed out during WWII. Maybe we hesitated because we were caught in an economic depression caused unregulated finance markets in 1929 and prolonged by forced “austerity” measures in 1936? But my version of US history is very different from his.

    I can almost hear the scream of “Next Candidate Please!” by the GOP.

  • gwingert

    Santorum is 2012′s Sarah Palin. Simply unbelievable!!!!

  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    I repeat: Rick Santorum knows less about battle than he does about fornication.

  • gekido

    Amazing what a military expert he is for having never served.