Today in Racism

This ad, from former Representative Pete Hoekstra (R-MI), aired during the super bowl for some viewers.

Former Rep. Pete Hoekstra (R-MI), currently running to unseat Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-MI), is the latest to try to stoke anti-Chinese fears for political gain. His new ad, entitled “Now”, shows a woman in what’s meant to be rural China speaking broken English and thanking Stabenow because “we take your jobs.” “Your economy get very weak, ours get very good,” the woman says. “Hoekstra’s mock website hosting the ad features Chinese characters adorned with two Chinese flags.

This isn’t funny, and it doesn’t make a point. It’s simply racist.

Sure, some of Hoekstra’s supporters were probably amused by it, just as they are amused by Rush Limbaugh’s ching-chong voices, but for the rest of us it’s just tasteless, stereotypical garbage.

This is your modern Republican Party, America. The racist party.

By the way, because Hoekstra is running for a seat in Michigan, it’s worth pointing out that China is General Motor’s largest international market. More cars are exported to China than are sold within the continental United States.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Racism and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://twitter.com/MotorCityLib John Conner

    This ad proves for the right price people don’t mind selling out their own culture. Another thing if Pete thinks running a clearly racist ad is going to get people in a mostly Democratic area to vote for him he got another thing coming.

      He can’t oust Stabenow anyway.

      What a moron he is.

  • todbrowning

    Hoekstra… wasn’t he the turtle fence dude?

    • JMAshby

      Yes

  • Draxiar

    Obvious racism aside (I’m actually surprised the ad didn’t end with “Me love you long time”), it says a great deal about a candidate when they resort to the 4 grade practice of making fun of someone’s name. Would this guy like it people called him Pete Huckster?

  • Not Sayin

    Holy shit! What is wrong with that girl who “starred” in the commercial? I am not a racist, but if you willfully and knowingly perpetuate a stereotype, I don’t care which one, I will give you endless grief. And Hoekstra – he’s just one more clown in the car. Wouldn’t expect anything less from him.

    • stacib23

      You should be worn out by now with the likes of Herman Cain and Alan West staying in the news.

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_KQVTT3LNW5O3R26AG2RLIFWYZQ Lunatics

    If you think that’s racist, the website is worse: http://www.debbiespenditnow.com

    • Ned F

      Holy Crap!

  • mrbrink

    With their coordinated legislative raids on workers rights all around the country, their midnight lynchings of women’s rights, gay rights, religious rights, voting rights, and their party’s burning-cross-platform of attacking the environment like we’re at Holy War with it, I wonder what these envious Republicans would do with all that state power the Chinese government enjoys.

    • JMAshby

      Pretty obvious. They would put China to shame on abuse of power.

      • mrbrink

        Oh, they’re right there, and worse considering their worship of a vengeful and punitive god they want everyone to obey.

        And the Republican party, by leaving a less democratic America than they found it should have set off some fire alarms.

        But yeah, leave it to union busters, advocates of child labor, enemies of a minimum wage and promoters of unequal pay to create good paying American jobs. Leave it to the pridefully ignorant to establish education. Leave it to those who openly despise a public safety net to save it. Leave it to warmongers to make peace. Leave it to religious zealots to separate church and state. Leave it to the thieves of democracy to promote it abroad.

        That a Republican can show up in Michigan pretending to give a shit about jobs after they all got in line behind “let Detroit go bankrupt” is already one of the most shameless displays of politics I’ve ever witnessed.

    • stacib23

      They don’t even do it at midnight under the cover of darkness. Nope those fuckers are getting away with doing it in the bright light of day. I was listening to the “debate” on Morning Joe today on the mandate on birth control being covered by Catholic institutions. They shaded the truth to within a milimeters of a lie. Gotta say though, Al Sharpton held his own.

  • bphoon

    Typical GOP dipshittery. I hope I’m not wrong about this but my intuition about the direction of public opinion has been pretty reliable over the years. I’m feeling more and more that people who populate the middle of the political spectrum–swing voters–are finally beginning to see through the bullshit the GOP has been bamboozling America with and are getting burned out on it.

  • ArrogantDemon

    As a person of color, its horrific to see one denigrate their own background for a meager acting job, the equivalent of dancing for their food.

    That girl just made the biggest mistake of her life, and she should be shamed if she isnt already.

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_TLHIXVS2CHDJNWYPZJIZ5NNZ3A Robert

    “More cars are exported to China than are sold within the continental United States.”

    That is not true Bob. GM might sell more cars in China, but they are predominently produced in China. China still maintains significant tariff’s on American made cars. In fact, they just raised it due to a fight with Obama over Chinese made tires.