Tornadoes in Space

This isn’t political, but it’s made of awesome.

Nearly at the peak of its 11-year Solar Cycle 24, a NASA spacecraft captured a video that shows Earth-sized solar tornadoes dancing across the sun’s surface. The tornadoes had gusts of up to 482,803 km/h (300,000 mph). [...]

How did such a storm happen? The massive solar tornadoes were created due to competing magnetic forces that rapidly pull the charged magnetic particles on the sun back and forth, which creates images of what NASA astronomers saw.

It’s haunting how similar they look to your average spring tornado here on planet Earth.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Not Politics and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

    I love to read/see almost anything about space, Ashby!!

  • Corebela

    Holy crap as much as I read about space wonders I have never seen that one. Awesome!

    It’s haunting how similar they look to your average spring tornado here on planet Earth.

    Physics is physics everywhere… except Liberty University.

    How long before some douche on Fox takes this info and somehow uses it as an argument against global warming?

    • JackDaniel07

      Greenwalds already churned out 800 words regarding his complete dissatisfaction with Obama’s handling of the solar tornadoes.

  • jmby

    This puts EVERYTHING into perspective, doesn’t it?

  • Ipecac

    I love the way the background music/sound makes our own sun seem ominous, alien and scary.

    • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

      The universe is a Lovecraft story.

  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    Hot and covered in tornadoes? Sounds like Alabama in May.

    • Brutlyhonest

      Starts much earlier than May now; but it’s all just normal, cyclical weather changes :P