Where Are the Ticker-tape Parades?

Laura Conaway:

After the Giants beat the Patriots in the 2008 Super Bowl, New York City celebrated with a ticker-tape parade. Now that the Giants have beaten the Patriots in 2012 Super Bowl, we’re getting ready for another parade tomorrow.

After U.S. troops came home from Iraq in 1991, New York City celebrated with a ticker-tape parade. U.S. troops came home from Iraq again this year. They’re still waiting for a big parade in New York City or, for that matter, anywhere except St. Louis.

We have bizarre priorities in America.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Iraq and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://www.dlancystreet.com reginahny

    My understanding is that because troops are still active in Afghanistan, a ticker-tape parade was considered to be insensitive to them and their families. I can understand that, and if true it might be a good idea for the Administration to voice that thinking.

    • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

      I’d bet the lack of parades has more to do with Iraq being the war that no one wanted to talk about after 2003. Like when Katie Couric went to Baghdad for a week, and CBS News’ ratings tanked.

      • http://www.dlancystreet.com reginahny

        True that! I’ve been trying to appeal to my own better nature lately as cynicism has brought me to a pretty low point. Sometimes it feels like a bottomless well of assuming bad intention, raw stupidity, blatant propaganda etc. I would love to see a ticker tape for our vets, and hope to see one after the planned 2013 drawdown in Afghanistan.

  • http://twitter.com/JimmyAbra Jimmy Abraham

    Just to be clear, in theory, all ticker-tape parades have been planned working off past plans… It is just a matter of scheduling and filling in some minor details. They did not plan the Giant’s parade once they knew they won the Super Bowl. They tentatively made a schedule once they knew of the possibility of the Giant’s win when they qualified for the Super Bowl. That said, it is easier than most people imagine to plan a parade for vets, given the history of parades. It is just a matter of scheduling…I say schedule the damn thing for the Iraq vets. Some of them need it. The ones who don’t shouldn’t limit the ones who need it.

  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    I don’t think people understand just how important these things are.

  • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

    But at least it’s Halftime in America! WOO! SPORTS GAMES!

  • trgahan

    Hrm…the last time we “ended” a war and there was no parade was Vietnam. Maybe like the Super Bowl, only the preceived winner gets a parade and the executive staff at Halliburton and memebers of the American Enterpirse Institute are just too busy to spend an afternoon walking down broadway. The walk would probably kill Cheney.

      “The walk would probably kill Cheney”

      If only…..

  • http://www.facebook.com/jlaing3 James Laing

    Hey, I’m from St .Louis. We had a parade. What’s up with the rest of the country?

      Kudos to St. Louis…if New York City doesn’t do it, I think a bunch of major cities in the U.S. should follow suit. Pick a couple in each region and make it happen.

      • stacib23

        I saw Bloomberg doing an interview Sunday. According to him, the Pentagon specifically asked them not to hold a parade and he’s only abiding by their request. Of course, if it were up to him…

  • EsiS

    I agree that our priorities are bizarre…if giving our troops a parade ranks even in the top ten of things we need to provide them.

    As far as the link to Afghanistan, I was under the impressions that a number of soldiers home from Iraq will have to turn around and go to Afghanistan, so a parade benefits them not a bit. Health care, a job, support for the families left behind, on the other hand…

  • jmby

    Today’s TALK OF THE NATION featured a conversation about this. A number of servicemen called in. They expressed the opinion that their brothers and sisters are still in harm’s way, and they don’t want to celebrate for that reason. One soldier also said that Iraq and Afghanistan are still dangerous places for their citizens, so the celebration would be a slap in the face to them. He personally did not want parades until terrorism – which is ultimately what he felt he was fighting against – is no more.

    Also, an historian on the program pointed out that ticker tape parades weren’t actually thrown at the end of WW II – the celebrations in Times Square on VE & VJ Day were spontaneous. Historically, government-sponsored parades occur much after the end of conflict.
    Finally, many of those who would participate in the parades are still on active duty and just arriving home – often coming home and needing a very necessary period of adjustment and private time with family and community. Parade participants would, in effect, be ordered to report to the parade. This would pull them from the process of re-entering their old lives at a critical time.

    The program opened my eyes and provided some different perspectives on tbe issue. I now think that waiting until Veteran’s Day or Memorial Day is the better and more appropriate time, to throw parades.