Chart of the Day

It’s a liberal conspiracy.

More than 2,200 warm temperature records have been set so far in March. Take a look at the map above to see where temps are crazy departures from normal.

This isn’t your average heat wave. Its duration, set against more than a century of record keeping, makes it one for the climate change chronicles.

What will it take for people to get the picture? The bankruptcy of an agricultural industry? Wildfires in the Midwest? Mass sticker-shock at the grocery?

I’m afraid it will take certain areas of the country becoming practically uninhabitable before roughly 40 percent of the country begins to question the “climate change is a liberal hoax” narrative they’ve been fed by their politicians and Fox News. Because Al Gore is fat. Or something.

(via Mother Jones)

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Environment and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • agrazingmoose

    We know exactly what the morons will do. They got all pissy because of Obama’s new mileage regs and, soon thereafter, started yelling that gas prices are too high. “Obama is taking money out of our pockets!”

    By summer they will be blaming Obama for food prices, water shortages, wildfires, and the ever shrinking Midwest cattle industry.

    “Why can’t Obama make it rain?”

    • Draxiar

      HAHA! Roger that!

      “This drought is a liberal conspiracy!”

  • http://twitter.com/WesHopper Wes Hopper

    Last week Bismark ND, on the frigid high northern plains, was 81 deg. Today the scary article was a coastal road in LA being washed out by rising seas http://ow.ly/9JT4l What we are having now is not projections of climate change, but actual effects. It’s all happening faster than the cautious science community predicted. This.is.not.good.

    • agrazingmoose

      I heard an interview on NPR today in which a scientist (cannot remember his specialty) said that models predict with near certainty that the LA to San Diego corridor will be pummeled with annual! floods by mid-centry that we now consider to be only once in a lifetime.

      Not only do people live there, but it also houses one of our biggest ports.

    • agrazingmoose

      If you are interested and can stomach it, this is the interview:

      http://onpoint.wbur.org/2012/03/19/rising-tides

  • D_C_Wilson

    Last month was one of the warmest Februarys on record. You’ll notice Fox had fewer opportunities to do their annual, “It’s snowing in February! Where’s global warming!” laugh riots.

      I lived in Northwest Florida for some years, and the winters were generally mild, but we had some cold days, and even a major ice storm once.
      This year we had a NW FL winter in Michigan. Hardly any snow, and whatever we got didn’t stick long. Temperatures unbelievably warm for MI. Lots of rain. And in March we’ve had daily temps in the 70′s.

      It’s completely surreal to me.

      • MiddleMittenLiberal

        Didn’t Florida get a bad freeze in November/December? And it was 80 here yesterday.

        • 1933john

          Not in the Pensacola area.

          I have no idea. But the weather in FL is getting warmer in general, not cooler. According to my Dad who spends winters in Naples, it was in the 80′s most of the winter. Normally, it would be in the low to mid 70′s.

          • MiddleMittenLiberal

            All-in-all, very weird–lovely, but weird. I think we will pay for this nice weather! Makes me think it will be a scorcher of a summer.

  • Clusterpuck

    How dare you! Treading on my constitutional liberties with your filthy, commie, abortifacient *SCIENCE*.

    Obama said when he took office “I want sea-levels to rise! That way, when my sinister plan to jack up gas prices during my reelection campaign takes effect, you won’t have to spend so much to drive the the beach/coast/shore!”

    That’s the response I envision.

  • mrbrink

    Chicago’s breaking records.

    Top 5 warmest high temperatures in Chicago in any year (1870-2012) through March are happening right now.

    80′s for the rest of the week.

    It was the warmest St. Patrick’s Day in 142 years of record keeping.

  • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

    So if snow in January = “lol al gore hoax!” Why isn’t Sean Hannity talking about record shattering heatwaves in March, after an incredibly mild winter?

    At this point, the planet is probably beyond saving. Well, as George Carlin said, “the planet is fine, the people are fucked.”

  • burbank_burt
  • Not Sayin

    We’re so fucked. I live in the middle of Texas and it’s been insane here since last Labor Day. Fires, drought, warm winter, then all through the late fall/winter into this month, unexpected rain. We don’t know if we’re coming or going. As long as the rain keeps up without major flooding or tornadoes, I guess we’ll be OK for now. But the water rights management changes already in effect are worrisome – this will be the first year in many that the Lower Colorado River Authority refuses to release water to rice farmers down in the valley area close to Mexico. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/02/texas-drought-rice-farmers-water_n_1315423.html

    We’re so fucked. And people think I’m crazy because I ordered some of these http://www.amazon.com/Bluewave-Gallon-Reusable-Water-Bottle/dp/B000ZHMVM8/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1332265053&sr=8-23 to catch water that we “waste” while waiting for showers to get warm.

      I don’t think you’re nuts for trying to conserve water. :)

      We’ll be engaged in real wars over water in the not too distant future.