Far-Right Lied About CBO Healthcare Report

The other day I received a tweet from a far-right reader who accused me of being a “lying crook” for supporting the healthcare reform law, and, in the same tweet, the guy cited this item from the Washington Examiner insisting that the CBO has increased the cost of the ACA by almost a trillion dollars.

Holy effing crap on a stick! A treeeeeeellion dollars!

Of course if either this Twitter follower or the Examiner had actually read the CBO report, they would’ve learned that the CBO made no such claim.

The lie spread all around the wingnutosphere and Fox News and became so insane the CBO had to post an article debunking the lies. There’s also this one from Media Matters. And this one from Krugman.

Note to conservatives who try to get into wonky details and numbers. Don’t.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Healthcare and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • GrafZeppelin127

    This is what that wingnut tried to tell me when I talked to him last Wednesday night. But here’s what’s interesting. At the time I hadn’t yet heard or read the meme, let alone the debunking thereof, but somehow I still felt confident in telling him that his numbers were wrong and that what he was saying wasn’t true. Even with no facts at my fingertips to back it up, I knew that it wasn’t true because I knew that it couldn’t be true. I instinctively knew that this was a meme dreamt up by the right-wing media based on a deliberate misreading, misinterpretation and/or mischaracterization of some numbers they found somewhere; a distortion of reality calculated to validate their political prejudices.

    Which concerns me for a couple of reasons. First, regardless of the fact that it turned out I was right, I still shouldn’t be doing that; it’s still wrong to proclaim that something is true or not true if you don’t really know. It’s wrong to make assumptions about facts, or people, based on their apparent voting preference. Second, and by extension, I think by doing so I might be falling into the same trap that people like him have fallen into, viz., wanting to believe (or disbelieve) something so badly that judgment starts to come before inquiry. [The fact that I looked it up immediately as soon as I got in front of a PC, to find out what he was talking about and what the reality behind it was, is beside the point.]

    Then again, at least from my perspective, right-wing memes like that have achieved Boy-Who-Cried-Wolf status, because ten times out of ten when I read or am told some hair-on-fire Outrageous Outrage that Finally Proves Beyond a Shadow of a Doubt How Evil Obama Is™, I do two minutes of research online and find that the reality is, if not the precise opposite, not even close to what the GOP enablers are saying. Every time, without exception, it turns out to be at best an exaggeration, at worst an outright lie.

    So when I hear someone say “it just came out that…” or “I heard/read that…” or some other passive-voice exclamation, without specifying either the primary or secondary source, I immediately get skeptical; when what follows is some Outrageous Outrage that Finally Proves Beyond a Shadow of a Doubt How Evil Obama Is™, I just know it’s false because every other Outrageous Outrage that Finally Proves Beyond a Shadow of a Doubt How Evil Obama Is™ has turned out to be false.

    It still bothers me, though, that I’ve been conditioned (or conditioned myself) to leap to that conclusion. Even though I was right, I still think it’s wrong.

  • Ned F

    That saying, “the lie is halfway around the world before the truth gets its’ boots on”, certainly applies here. I read that TRILLION dollar thing somewhere, and like Graf, knew (hoped) it couldn’t be true. Sure enough, I found it has been debunked even without searching for an answer on my part.
    But, at this point it doesn’t matter, this is now one of those accepted truths that the right, and those who don’t really pay attention, just “know”.

  • agrazingmoose

    Conservatives can’t get wonky into details and numbers and that is why they so willingly believe lies.

  • Brutlyhonest

    Here’s another good lie I’ve been seeing on the teevee box: President Obama is controlled by and beholden to Wall Street fatcats.

    I don’t remember which superpac is running the ad, but I find it hilarious that the wingnuts say on one hand the President hates/is killing business (despite record profits and a growing economy) and out at the same time is the worst of the greedy’s puppet.

    I bet a simple logic puzzle would make most faux nation faux patriots’ brain stems pop.

      They are such idiots. I guess that’s why he’s having trouble getting large donors, cause he is so known for working with for Wall Street.

    • D_C_Wilson

      Even more hilarious is how they otherwise defend politicians who are the lapdogs of the 1%.