GOP: We’ll Be Back

Fear not, woman haters. The GOP has your back.

Not deterred by the defeat of the Blunt-Rubio amendment in the senate today, Roy Blunt and John Boehner are both vowing to continue the fight to deny basic reproductive healthcare to women. Because that’s what makes our nation great. Or something.

“This fight is not over,” said Senate GOP Conference Vice Chair Roy Blunt (R-MO), the author of the amendment that was tabled 51-48 on Thursday. “I will continue to work with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle and in both chambers of Congress to protect the rights that make our nation great.” […]

“I think it’s important for us to win this issue,” House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) told reporters Thursday, echoing the party line that the Obama administration’s requirement that most employer health plans include contraceptive coverage violates religious liberty. Boehner did, however, demur on how exactly he’d like to proceed, even though the House’s version of Blunt’s bill has over 200 cosponsors.

I have no other explanation for this other than the Republicans have drank so much of their own Koolaid they actually believe this helps them. They believe this is popular. Despite all evidence to the contrary.

President Obama is leading every possible Republican challenger, including Mitt Romney, by 10 points or more.

Keep going!

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in War On Women and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • i_a_c

    Here’s another surefire loser for Republicans that the Very Serious Media thinks is Bad News For Obama™.

    The other day on Now with Alex Wagner on MSNBC, two of the panelists were Glenn Thrush from GOPolitico and some jackhole named Mark from the Moonie Times. Surprise surprise, Glenn and Moonie Mark agreed that the White House totally fumbled this issue because their “compromise” didn’t cause Republicans to shut up about it.

    I wonder, do these people in the media even follow the news? Do they understand that the Republicans will pillory every proposal the White House puts out there? News flash for GOPolitico: the White House loves the fact that Republicans are marching right off a cliff talking about contraception. Women are the most important Democratic constituency, and the gender gap in ’12 could be as wide as it’s ever been at this rate.

    Get used to media concern trolling folks, it’s election season. If they hailed the Paul Ryan Path to Poverty as a serious policy proposal, who knows what depths they’ll stoop to.

    EDIT: Here’s a recent poll.

    Women also are the reason behind Obama’s lead over Republican hopefuls Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum: In one-on-one matchups, Obama beats Romney 54 percent to 41 percent and tops Santorum 56 percent to 40 percent among women, but virtually ties each Republican among men. Women are Obama’s to lose: They are more apt to identify with Democrats and give that party higher favorability than are men.

    Ouch.

  • burbank_burt

    Bob wrote:
    “I have no other explanation for this other than the Republicans have drank so much of their own Koolaid they actually believe this helps them. They believe this is popular. Despite all evidence to the contrary.”

    I say:

    1 – They didn’t just drink it.
    _They_ chose the flavor,
    _they_ mixed it up, and
    _they_ served it!

    2 – This is such good evidence that they (republicans specifically and many politicians on both sides generally) live in a bubble.

  • mzmijewski

    He is leading by only 10 points. This country is worse off than I thought.

    • LK3

      Agree . And how women are not 100% supporting Obama, OK I will even concede 99% , truly boggles the mind.

    • JMAshby

      It’s all relative though. An actual 10 point victory would mean a landslide electorally.

  • Ned F

    I’m pretty sure the true agenda with the Blunt amendment was, and is, to take down or weaken the ACA. Of course they over estimated popular support of birth control, but I think that was a loud distraction framed as freedom of religion.

  • muselet

    Rachel Maddow had a segment last night on the Republican rush to the Right. Her basic premise was that the Right has been thinking strategically, working to move the Overton Window come what may. If they lose an election, that’s not a big deal as long as they can keep moving the perceived political center Rightward.

    If Maddow’s correct, then if the Rs lose on this, it’s not a tragedy. Long-term, they’ll keep pushing and pushing, trying to force yet another compromise that’s more to their liking (just as they’ve been doing with the foreign-object–rape/forced ultrasound bills).

    It’s the sort of thing you can do if you don’t care about actual governance.

    –alopecia

  • Tmaximus

    Santorum cashes checks as board member of Universal Health Services, a company that rakes in the big bucks via birth control products. tubal ligations, vasectomies . . .while at the same time playing pelvic politics to the rubes in the pews. Now he’s trying to back away from his ‘husbands shouldn’t enjoy screwing their wives’ and contraception crap, is demanding to the press to only talk about economy & jobs . . .instead of discussing his sexually dysfuntional beliefs.

    We all know Romney is invested in three pharma mfg companies that produce birth control products….but there he is, all up in the ‘ginas of Redneckistani’s who want to shrink government small enough to shove up into a uterus so they can pile drive it into a headboard after they hang up their Sunday go to meetin’ suits.

  • mjfitz

    “I have no other explanation for this other than the Republicans have drank so much of their own Koolaid they actually believe this helps them. They believe this is popular. Despite all evidence to the contrary.”

    This isn’t really surprising. Ever since the election of the black black blackity black President, the right has increasingly become so unhinged and detached from reality that they will believe whatever delusional shit justifies their paranoiac worldview. The teabaggers have always believed that they are a political juggernaut whose numbers are legion; whenever the Republican establishment cravenly panders to try and appease them, they only become emboldened and more convinced of their invincibilty. Since the party leaders are unwilling to disavow any insanity that bubbles up out of that cesspool, the loons feel free to keep doubling down on the crazy. The result is a feedback loop that has pushed the discourse so far to the fringe that they don’t even feel the need to disguise the racism and sexism with code words and dog whistles anymore.

  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    Culture warriors come for the party but they stay for the jihad.

  • Draxiar

    “I will continue to work with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle and in both chambers of Congress to protect the rights that make our nation great.”

    !!HAHAHAHAHA!!

    Don’t…just…don’t try that bad pick-up line…you did…you used it…