Governor John Kasich Steps on Tornado Victims

Sorry victims of the recent Tornado super-outbreak which flattened several small towns in Ohio, there will be no federal aid for you. So sayeth Governor John Kasich.

Ohio Gov. John Kasich said thanks but no thanks to immediate federal disaster relief Saturday, even as governors in Indiana and Kentucky welcomed the help.

Kasich did not rule out asking for assistance later, but his decision means tornado-ravaged towns in Ohio will not get federal aid now and are not eligible at this time for potentially millions of dollars in payments and loans.

The governor said Ohio can respond to the crisis without federal help and he would not ask federal authorities to declare the region a disaster area.

Okay. I get it. Modern conservative principles dictate that you should turn down help from the diabolical federal government when its offered to you, but this is hardly the time to be playing politics. People have lost everything.

Republican governors in battleground states continue to be the best campaigners Democrats could ever hope for.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Ethics and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • caribbeanobserver

    Ashby, I’m sooo glad you get it, but I just don’t get it!

  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=695682533 Janet Carter

    This is just plain unbelievable !!!

  • Brutlyhonest

    I know, right? On a similar note, I was just reading how our moderate, jobs governor and the full-on wingnut legislature of VA are planning to use the unfair mortgage practices settlement to fill budget shortfalls, not help people with their mortgage problems.

      Yeah, I’m seeing a real trend…they’ll refuse aid but will use federal funds to balance the budget and then claim that they and they alone balanced their state’s budget. What a bunch of assholes. I hope the American people see through this tactic.

    • stacib23

      It happened in Wisconsin. Scott Walker started that particular brand of thievery.

        Exactly and it drives me nuts how the MSM has barely reported it. If the majority of Americans knew that they were doing this it would make such a huge difference.

      • Brutlyhonest

        Indeed. I suspect this – and every other grand idea they have to redistribute wealth upwards – is shared/coordinated.

  • Corebela

    And in a few months they will be saying Obama didn’t do enough to help the victims.

    • D_C_Wilson

      And Kasich will be one of the loudest complainers.

    November is going to be a massive landslide. An electoral stomping that will make 2008 look like a squeaker. It will extend to down ticket races.
    And the very next morning, the screams of “ACORN rigged the election!” will begin…again.

  • DetroitSam

    Bob: I bet you a dollar that many of the republican voters, independent voters and those who call themselves Reagan democrats will rush to the polls, trampling the neighborhood children, to vote for the republicans.

    Nothing will change because many of these folks don’t know how to do anything BUT vote against their own best interest.

  • rikyrah

    this county voted FOR Kasich 68-28

    YOU GET THE GOVERNMENT YOU VOTE FOR.

  • deazl666

    Greetings from Columbus. Kasich has kept a low profile since his stinging SB 5 defeat. It will be interesting to see what sort of comeback he is planning, but he does have a couple of years to regain enough support to win re-election here in Ohio where the Republican Party controls just about everything (except the innercities). Take it from this lifelong Democrat: the Democratic Party in Ohio is a fucking farce. It will take a strong candidate with a powerful message to get through to swing-voters. Ohio is a post-industrial mess (has been for a long time) and the old Democratic institutions are simply too weak to repel the Republicans. Basically, the Ohio Democratic party needs an enema and its own version of Bill Clinton to apply it. Who is that candidate?!?