It’s a Liberal Conspiracy

Expect to see more and more stories like this as extreme weather events around the world raise eyebrows with increasing frequency.

Heat waves and extreme rainfall in the past decade are probably linked to global warming, according to a study by scientists at the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research.
“For some types of extreme, notably heat waves but also precipitation extremes, there is now strong evidence linking specific events or an increase in their number to the human influence on climate,” the scientists wrote in a study published in the journal Nature Climate Change.

The past decade included Europe’s hottest summer in at least 500 years in 2003, according to the scientists. 2010 brought western Russia’s hottest summer in centuries and record rain in Pakistan and Australia, they wrote. Japan and some U.S. states registered all-time-high rainfall last year, while the Yangtze River basin in China had a record drought. [...]

The recent high incidence of weather records is “no longer normal,” according to Dim Coumou, the lead author of the study.

Does this mean Europe, Russia, Pakistan, and Australia are part of the vast liberal conspiracy?

Another report making its way around the intertubes today suggests that it may be too late to reverse global warming, and given the pace at which congress acts it seems likely, however that doesn’t mean we should continue to make things worse.

It’s snowing! In Winter! Where’s the global warming!? -Sean Hannity

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Environment and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

    Of course it’s too late… it was probably too late in the 80s. The human race has an expiration date, probably not in our lifetimes, or even our grandchildren’s, but I wouldn’t be shocked to learn that we have less than 200 years left before the planet is uninhabitable.

    • Not Sayin

      I agree with you and that doesn’t mean that in that time, we won’t see major issues leading up to that point. I’m totally flabbergasted that the town where I live in Texas figures just because a local lake came back up to capacity it’s OK to lessen the yard watering restrictions. Here in Texas, the time for dumping treated drinking water on grass should be long gone.

    • D_C_Wilson

      I disagree that the planet will be uninhabitable. Life on this planet has has weathered five mass extinctions in the past. Life will go on in one form or another long after we’ve wiped ourselves out.

      Get ready for the era of the roaches.

      • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

        Yes, I should’ve specified “uninhabitable for humans.”

  • Not Sayin

    Gdammit I love this blog, but for the love of all that is holy and good, get the it’s vs its right!

    • JMAshby

      And I usually do, but sometimes I’m in a hurry or my eyes simply miss it. It’s not as if I don’t know the difference.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Of course it’s a liberal conspiracy. Sen. Inhofe said that Jeebus was going to protect us. Who are you going to believe? The vast majority of climate scientists or a guy who can’t recognize when a landing strip is closed?

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Good Christian sociopath Inhofe is far more concerned about protecting his grandchildren from teh gays marrying each other than he is about leaving them a scorched, dying planet – that he’s had a big hand in pissing on – to live in.

    I have always marveled at the level of paranoia it takes to believe that hundreds of thousands of scientists around the world agree that Global Warming is real only because it’s a “conspiracy”. I tried explain to libertarians how scientific research is reviewed before publication and how the scientific method works and how other researchers have to verify findings of previous studies in order for the weight of the evidence to point to a conclusion…etc, etc….and they just don’t get it. They honestly think that some scientist at the University of Kazakistan is in cahoots with some scientist at the University of Idaho who is in cahoots with a scientist at the University of Tokyo, etc, etc. It’s just flat out nuts.