New Hampshire GOP Legislates Lying to Women

The New Hampshire House passed HB 1659 this week, a bill that require doctors provide deliberately false information to women seeking abortions.

This portion of the bill reads as follows

It is scientifically undisputed that full-term pregnancy reduces a woman’s lifetime risk of breast cancer. It is also undisputed that the earlier a woman has a first full-term pregnancy, the lower her risk of breast cancer becomes, because following a full-term pregnancy the breast tissue exposed to estrogen through the menstrual cycle is more mature and cancer resistant.

In fact, for each year that a woman’s first full-term pregnancy is delayed, her risk of breast cancer rises 3.5 percent. The theory that there is a direct link between abortion and breast cancer builds upon this undisputed foundation.

As ThinkProgress guest-blogger Zachary Bernstein points out, a link between abortion and breast cancer is not supported by a number of organizations, including the American Cancer Society.

The Republican-controlled New Hampshire House of Representatives is attempting to mandate that doctors provide dishonest and misleading material to women, breaking every oath and code of ethics they’ve ever adhered to.

Because nothing says small government like legislatively forcing doctors to lie to their patients.

Didn’t we spend all of 2009 and 2010 listening to gasbags preach about “Obamacare” interfering with the “patient doctor relationship?” What do you call this? Are Arizona and New Hampshire now competing for who can be the first state to legislate dishonesty in healthcare?

By the way, the current leadership of the New Hampshire House swept to power during the 2010 election. You know, when everyone decided to stay home.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Abortion and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

    Sounds like we should outlaw not having children then. Get barefoot, broodmares!

  • jeanne marie

    By the way, the current leadership of the New Hampshire House swept to power during the 2010 election. You know, when everyone decided to stay home.

    If the DCC didn’t coach their candidates to distance themselves from Obama, we wouldn’t have crushed the still palpable momentum from Obama’s election. The cowards paid more attention to the “ahem” grassroots Tea Party movement than to delivering a winning strategy. Fools.

  • jeanne marie

    By the way, the organization behind the “war on women” legislation is the Americans United for Life. Their team of attorneys and PR folks have been providing boilerplate legislation at the state level. They need to be countered.

  • Nefercat

    I don’t understand why we are not hearing from doctors about these bills? Doesn’t it violate medical ethics for a doctor to force an unwilling patient to undergo a medically unnecessary and potentially harmful procedure before performing a legal procedure?

    Doesn’t it violate medical ethics for a doctor to knowingly lie to a patient just because non-doctors order him or her to do so?

    Where are the doctors?

    • DetroitSam

      I have been asking the same question of where are the physicians?

      If is a violation of their Hippocratic Oath of “First Do NO harm” to force unneeded procedures on a patient or to lie to said patient?

      I just don’t get it. I do know that the AMA is a large contributor to republicans.

  • Victor_the_Crab

    What the fuck is this garbage the Republicans are pulling here? They’re trying to get doctors to violaite their core principals just so they can get their way. They are in dire need of an attitute adjustment.

  • DetroitSam

    In spite of this millions of women will continue to vote for republicans.

  • andrewdski

    No, no, no. Obamacare would interpose government between a doctor and Good Americans. This interposes government between a doctor and evil slutty women. See the difference?