Olbermann Fired from Current TV

Good gravy.

It was just over a year ago that former MSNBC host Keith Olbermann announced he was joining Current TV, and today, that relationship officially came to an end. According to the New York Times‘ Brian Stelter, Olbermann is out at Current, and will be replaced by former CNN host and New York Governor Eliot Spitzer. Spitzer will take over the 8 PM slot starting tonight.

And — WTF? — Spitzer?

Part of the statement from Al Gore and Joel Hyatt:

Current was also founded on the values of respect, openness, collegiality, and loyalty to our viewers. Unfortunately these values are no longer reflected in our relationship with Keith Olbermann and we have ended it.

Ouch.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in The Media and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • JMAshby

    Based on Current’s statement, I suspect this has more to do with Keith’s attitude toward opposition figures than people within Current TV.

    I can’t stand the Breitbarters as much as anyone, but when you’re representing an organization the way he did, and you’re the news director, engagingly in ugly back-and-forth arguments with them on a daily basis on social media is simply not something you should be doing. It may be justified, but it’s not professional.

    I could also be completely wrong, but I’ve seen some ugly back and forth from him on Twitter that even made me begin to lose respect, and I’m no prude.

    Adding.. according to TPM: http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/03/keith-olbermann-and-current-tv-part-ways.php

    According to a source familiar with the situation, Current decided to let Olbermann go because the progressive pundit “did not respect the viewers of Current.” The basis of his firing included, according to the source: “sabotaging the network” and attacking Current and its executives.”

    I’m not sure what to make of that, other than possibly the fact that he took such a far turn to the far-left after joining Current, but they still have Cenk so it’s confusing, unless he’s on the way out soon too.

    I’m sure the gritty details will be on Gawker later tonight.

    Update 2…

    Olbermann just posted on Twitter basically alleging they didn’t invest enough in the network and that they’re dropping him because they can’t afford him. Paraphrasing, of course.

    He says he’s going to file a lawsuit.

    • missliberties

      Filing a lawsuit. Weak.

  • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

    Olbermann has become insufferable since leaving MSNBC. The borderline firebagging, the need to respond to every right-winger that ever insults him on Twitter, it’s petty.

    • missliberties

      Fortunately I don’t watch him, so I don’t know the pussy details.

      With friends like Keith, etc. etc.

    • JackDaniel07

      I find it hard to believe that I used to RUSH home and bend my night around his hour of TV in the pre-Maddow days. Dont miss him, sorry to say.

  • http://twitter.com/hugetinymistake chris

    spitzer is a pretty good guy on TV, IMO. I also love TYT, even if I dont always agree with them. I’ll still watch the network. something like five networks can’t be wrong for firing olbermann.

    • missliberties

      Spitz rocks. He has the facts.

      Olberman is too big for his ego.

    i’m sure Olbermann deserved it, diva that he is. And personally, i’m glad that he’s off the air for the moment, thus prevented from spewing his anti-Obama crap further than his internet reach (i assume he’ll run back to his blog and spill his ire).

  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    Thursday: DFA informs me that I am ineligible to win a trip to Netroots Nation.

    Friday: Netroots Nation 2012 headliner fired from his job at Current TV.

    EYE ROH NEE

    • JMAshby

      Why ineligible?

      • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

        They’re not accepting applications from prior winners. First time they’ve done that.

        • JMAshby

          I guess you’ll miss out on noteworthy panels such as “Obama kicked my dog” and “Progressives for Ron Paul”

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Way to go Olbermann, you big dummy! Your massive ego, childish behavior, and obnoxious attitude has gotten you kicked to the curb. And by Al freakin’ Gore, no less. The guy you said last year was the best boss to work for.

    If you can’t work under those conditions, you’ll never be able to work in the industry again. Grow up Olbermann, and stop embarassing progressives with your diva personna.

  • http://twitter.com/chrisjw5 Christopher Wade

    I used to like Keith, though I’ll confess I haven’t really watched him since he left MSNBC. I’ll also confess that I hadn’t really missed him. I found Rachel Maddow to be a more effective voice for me than Keith and his self-serving bombast.

    I think this can also put to rest the idea that Keith’s attitude is not the problem. ESPN. MSNBC and now Current. I know there have been others, but this is 3 high-profile firings.

    Really, it’s a shame. Keith is obviously brilliant and he could be a great liberal/progressive voice. But he seems to be far to interested in self-promotion and ideas of his own grandiosity.

    • JackDaniel07

      well put Chris

  • mnpollio

    I know Olbermann rubs people the wrong way, but I usually enjoyed him. By contrast, could someone please explain to me why Eliot Spitzer seems to be a sudden go-to guy for on-air media time? Was Anthony Weiner unavailable or something? I’m not saying that I always disagree with Spitzer, he can make some very good cogent arguments on important matters, but I think it is outlandish with so many under-represented progressive voices that they could not locate anyone as a replacement without Spitzer’s baggage. I mean, do they really see Eliot Spitzer as being that much of a draw?