Porn Moguls Aren’t Worried About Santorum

…forgive the headline

In case you missed it, Rick Santorum has now turned pornography into a campaign issue wherein he is pledging to rid the nation of porn. Meanwhile, putting a gun in everyone’s hands is apparently okay.

Porn executives aren’t exactly quaking in their boots over the notion because they don’t take Santorum seriously as a candidate.

I don’t see a danger,” Michael Lucas, New York’s largest producer of gay adult films, told Yahoo News. “There’s no danger that he will be the Republican Party nominee.” […]

On the West Coast, Hustler magazine publisher Larry Flynt, who has spent decades battling obscenity laws and politicians who have tried to shut him down, said he’s confident that Santorum won’t get in his way either.

“Whether it’s Newt offering $2 gasoline or Santorum wanting to ban pornography or whatever else he’s doing, they’re making these promises and these threats, and they’re really empty and meaningless,” Flynt told Yahoo News. “I don’t think he will be much of a contender if he gets the nomination, but at the same time I don’t think he will.” […]

Steven Hirsch, the founder and co-chairman of Vivid Entertainment, an adult film company that boasts millions of viewers every month, had a more blunt message for Santorum: Bring it.

“Thankfully we live in America and we have a justice system. Certainly he can put together a task force and he can go after the adult industry and begin prosecutions. Certainly that won’t be cheap, but ultimately we’ll prevail because people don’t want to be told what they can watch in the privacy of their own home,” he said. “It’s sometimes easy to attack the adult industry, but ultimately it doesn’t work.”

If the targets of your political attacks aren’t even bothered enough to laugh at you, I think you’ve marginalized yourself enough.

    Right wing Republicans always like to yell and scream about keeping the government out of their lives. Unless it’s about things they don’t like, such as pornography, or women wanting to do what they want with their own bodies, then they demand government intervention. What a bunch of psychotic two-faced crybabies they are.

  • mrbrink

    Attacking the porn industry is a bondage fetish that may or may not involve wearing a baby diaper.

  • andrewdski

    The reference to guns made me think. Will this lead to shortages of Hustler magazine as worried men stock up? This seems like an SNL or Jon Stewart skit waiting to be made.

  • agrazingmoose

    Apparently the snuff films are no longer an issue. So Santorum hasn’t a leg to stand on.