Quote of the Day

Rick Santorum goes there.

“If you’re going to be a little different, we might as well stay with what we have instead of taking a risk with what may be the etch a sketch candidate of the future.” -Rick Santorum speaking in Texas

You read that right. Rick Santorum says we might as well stay with President Obama rather than take a risk with Mitt Romney.

That’s amusing, and obviously I agree that we should stick with President Obama, but what Santorum and others on the far right are really afraid of is being marginalized.

They’ve done a fairly comprehensive job of marginalizing themselves, but from their point of view they’ve simply been bad communicators. They don’t understand that a clear majority of Americans do not agree with them, and they view Mitt Romney as an ultimately flawed communicator.

Romney is a deeply-flawed communicator, but communication isn’t the problem. It’s the policy. And when the Republicans lose in November, the likely consensus will be that they weren’t conservative enough, while the reality is quite the opposite.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Quote and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • DerFarm

    These reactionaries live in an echo chamber. They talk to none but themselves and listen to none but who agree with them. EVERYONE is saying that the country wants to be more conservative.

    What could be more easy to understand than that?

    That statement is the beginning of the end of the Republican era and frankly, a big bite of a reality sandwich. The Republicans–especially mainstream, rationale, establishment Republicans–are beginning to realize that if Santorum or Romney should win the presidency, it would be a devastating and unrecoverable situation for the party. If one of these guys should win the presidency (although highly unlikely I must believe…), the Republican party is stuck with them.

    Since neither of these two clowns have ever had an original thought in their life, it won’t take them four years to put the country on a pathe to utter destruction. And maybe–just maybe–even fringe republicans will wake up and smell Rome burning. But what do they do? Just walk away from their guy? No friggin’ way. They are stuck with him. Republicans know that they dance with who brung em’. So my guess is that they are already looking down the road and figuring out that Obama for four is better than eight with these stooges.

    Before you say it, Ashby, or someone comments further, I know the flaw in this theory and the factor that effects it. Republicans really do hate Obama so bad that they will risk utter destruction of their party and the country to get him out of office. They really think they can fix it all later. That “etch a sketch” Freudian slip was pulling the sheets off of their entire strategy.

    These people are beneath contempt and unworthy of the presidency.

  • muselet

    And when the Republicans lose in November, the likely consensus will be that they weren’t conservative enough, while the reality is quite the opposite.

    “Get used to the hearing about how the Republicans failed because they weren’t true conservatives. Conservatism can never fail. It can only be failed by weak-minded souls who refuse to properly follow its tenets. It’s a lot like communism that way. ”
    digby

    So now both Romney and Santorum have told voters to vote for Obama.

    Works for me.