Religious Liberty!

The Right Wing is very, very concerned about the threat to religious liberty posed by the Obama Administration.

So concerned that they’re outlawing some forms of religious expression while enshrining their own.

Yesterday, within the span of 24 hours, the Florida House passed a bill to allow prayer in public schools and another to crack down on the supposed threat of Sharia law.

In a lopsided 88-27 vote, the chamber okayed a bill to allow any student to deliver “inspirational messages,” including religious prayers, at public-school events. “Look at what just happened in Ohio,” one lawmaker said, referencing the recent school school shooting there. “The kids need to have prayer at school.” Another explained the need by citing the “sex, gambling and all of the moral decay that’s on our televisions and radios.”

The ACLU and Anti-Defamation League believe the bill violates the separation of Church and State and have threatened legal action. Meanwhile, the other bill bans the use of “foreign law,” with an implicit focus on the supposed dangers of Sharia. When asked, the bill’s sponsor couldn’t point to a single cases in Florida in which a judge ruled on Sharia, but said the state needs to “jump in front of the problem.”

Personally, I’m far more afraid of Christian law than Sharia law.

There are no documented cases of Sharia law actually being used in a United States court, however the imposition of Christian dogma is a part of everyday life for people across the country.

The War on Women is a shining example of this, wherein the Religious Right is attempting to suspend your liberty to not be ruled over by their religion.

By the way, if you want to talk moral decay, turn on Rush Limbaugh. Turn on Fox News. Programs that believe lying is a virtue. Where “slut” is treated as just another point of view. And I don’t believe Ohio students were shot because they don’t pray enough. I think it has more to do with there being 3 guns for every 1 person in this country.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Religion and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Chachizel

    My thoughts exactly. Great post Ashby

  • margietalks

    Oh my gosh! You are so eloquent! I read of a GOP state rep who wants to pass a bill that having a baby out of wedlock (single personhood) should be considered child abuse. What is the matter with people? I can just imagine a young girl, afraid to let people know that she is pregnant because she will be charged with child abuse. This is complete nuts! The party that wants to ban abortion want to jimmy the system where women are always at peril! It’s making me edgy. I am a big fan of yours so keep up the good work!

    • muselet

      I saw that yesterday. The Republican in question is Wisconsin state Senator Glenn Grothman. West Bend voters, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

      Link.

      People like that have always been around. Rush and Fox “News” have spent the last 25-30 years cultivating the more ignorant population of mouth-breathers this country has ever known. The idea was to create a herd of sheep that would be a reliable republican voting block, but it’s backfired on them. Now, the mouth-breathers are getting themselves elected to office and the GOP establishment can no longer control the monster they created.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Who needs Muslims trying to impose Shariah law when we have our own Christian Taliban that’s more than willing to impose biblical law on us?

    They ought to know everything there is to know about moral decay. Their actions exemplify it.

    “Personally, I’m far more afraid of Christian law than Sharia law.”

    Agreed. Personally, if there were an industrialized country that was noted for the lack of religion practiced by its citizens, I’d be so there.

      We do provide an awful lot of entertainment to Canadians and Europeans with this nonsense.

        Most of my relatives are Germans, and are totally disbelieving of what goes on here.

        A damn shame we can’t just move the entire batshit right wing to another country. Or a faraway island.

  • muselet

    Oh, dear:

    Sen. Gary Siplin, an Orlando Democrat who shepherded the proposal, has said the concept of an “inspirational message” is open to interpretation.

    “It could be the I Have a Dream speech, the Pledge of Allegiance, a blessing before a luncheon,” he said. “It could also be a prayer.”

    Uh-huh. I wonder what would happen if a student who happens to be an atheist took it upon himself to deliver one of those “inspirational messages” at a public-school event. Actually, I wonder if he’d get out of the room alive.

    As for the other bill:

    Civil libertarians and Jewish lawmakers are also outraged by the measure, as it may “void divorces mediated through Jewish tribunals.”

    Yes, it probably would.

    The standard response to “anti-Sharia” bills is that they are solutions in search of a problem. Except they’re not solutions. They’re an exercise in majoritarian bullying mixed with xenophobia, and they poison the well for any interreligious dialogue (or even coexistence).

    The framers of the Constitution would be moved to give these dimwits a sound thrashing.

    –alopecia