The Limbaugh Effect

Here’s a good example of why Rush Limbaugh and his ilk should be held accountable for poisoning public airwaves.

New Hanover County, North Carolina commissioners voted yesterday to reject a grant that covers family planning services. Services which include, among other things, contraception and preventive screening.

The Chairman of the county commission offered the following explanation for the decision

“If these young women are being responsible and didn’t have the sex to begin with, we wouldn’t have this problem to begin with”

Sound familiar?

Would the Hanover County Commission have made this decision if these words weren’t first uttered by Rush Limbaugh? Possibly, but given the chairman’s “women have too much sex” rationale, it’s probably safe to assume that’s where he got the idea.

One Democrat on the county commission voted in favor of rejecting the grant but, fortunately, he is receiving push-back from an obviously unexpected — to him — source.

“I’m getting a good lesson from my wife right this minute on the error of my vote”

The general welfare of the women in my life would occupy my initial thoughts if I were placed in a position where I had to decide the fate of women’s healthcare, but apparently that’s not the case for a large portion of men who, without doubt, do have mothers, daughters, sisters, wives, or other female relatives.

(via TPM)

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in War On Women and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • muselet

    The commissioners didn’t think it was right to use taxpayer money to pay for women who want to have sex for non-procreative purposes.

    I think Rick Santorum just found his natural constituency.

    A big part of this that doesn’t get openly discussed much is the inference that only poor people – and we know that they’re all brown – need government assisted family planning services. Of course, since the rwnjs are always bitching about the welfare queens having too many babies and perpetuating the welfare lifestyle, you’d thing they would want to help stop unwanted pregnancies.

    Fucking asshats.

    • D_C_Wilson

      And the irony:

      There are more whites on assistance than any other group, especially in the south.

      • Brutlyhonest

        That’s librul lies!

  • missliberties

    This is why the moral equivalence is a false comparison. Rush Limbaugh’s not so innocent attacks on women’s rights isn’t just talk. The GOP is actually waging a war on women.

    This is so anti-freedom.

  • D_C_Wilson

    “If these young women are being responsible and didn’t have the sex to begin with, we wouldn’t have this problem to begin with”

    Who do they think these women are having sex with?

      That part of the equation isn’t important to true misogynists because in their eyes the sin is all hers…the man is the victim and never takes responsibility for giving into temptation. She is guilty iPod being sexually attractive just by existing so they have to de-sexualize her (cover her up, shut her up, and lock her up).

      • http://macklyons.blogspot.com/ Mack Lyons

        You know what the (not-so)-funny part is? These misogynists also tout themselves as being “Christians,” yet they share the same misogynistic bent as fundamentalist Islamics.

        “Cover her up, shut her up, and lock her up” is also what guys like the Taliban do to the women under their influence. Too bad our own American Taliban (aka fundamentalist “Christian” conservatives) are simply too stupid or too drunk off of their faux patriotism to realize that.