Wealthy White Man Can’t Vote, Investigation Ensues

There’s an Onion story in here somewhere just waiting to be written.

via The Tennesseean

Former U.S. Rep. Lincoln Davis said he and his wife Lynda were denied the right to vote Tuesday in his Fentress County hometown.

“We walked in and they told me I was not a registered voter. I had been taken off the list,” said Davis, who served two terms representing the fourth congressional district of Tennessee, leaving office in 2011. [...]

Blake Fontenay, spokesman for the Tennessee Department of State, which oversees the division of elections, said officials were planning to investigate what happened with the Davises.

“He said I would have to re-register,” Davis said. “And I told them I’m already registered, I’m not going to re-register. I’m a former member of Congress, state senator, House member, mayor and all my life, I’ve been involved in the community, coaching Little League, participating in Boy Scouts and serving on boards here, and I’m denied the right to vote. It just doesn’t make sense.”

Such a scenario strikes me as distinctly Freudian.

Wealthy, white politicians such as Lincoln Davis obviously aren’t the intended target of voter roll purging and other forms of voter suppression tactics, and if Mister Davis were poor or a member of a minority, I doubt the Tennessee State Department would launch an investigation with such haste.

Wealthy white men weren’t the intended target of “papers please” immigration law either but, as we’ve seen, wingnut governance often comes with unintended consequences.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Voter Suppression and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://twitter.com/festafarian CB

    Karma

  • Joseph Propenski

    Obviously wealthy white men were not the target of this voter suppression scheme. Sometimes the system breaks down.

      But according to the right it’s an obvious conspiracy….its always a conspiracy perpetrated by the left…the side so unorganized they can’t agree on something as simple as talking points.

  • muselet

    A jewel from commenter “Harold Hutchcraft” at the link:

    The key to settling this discussion is what really happened. He was not denied the right to vote. He chose not to use a provisional ballot which would count if it was determined that a mistake had been made for his registration. He denied himslef [sic] the right to vote. As a career politician he would have known he could vote with a provisional ballot.

    Somebody has reading-comprehension problems.

    (Incidentally, Lincoln Davis is a D, so he certainly is an intended target of voter suppression by the Rs, who overreached only by inconveniencing a prominent pale person.)

    That’s right. The other Lincoln Davis won’t miss his vote so publicly.