What’s Wrong With Arizona?

Fresh off the committee passage of a bill that would allow doctors to withhold information from pregnant women out of suspicion that they might seek an abortion, the Arizona Senate Judiciary Committee has passed another bill which would allow employers to fire you if you fail to prove that you sought contraception for non-reproductive purposes.

In other words, give employers a right to fire you for having sex on your own time in your own home. And this applies specifically to women, as men don’t typically seek birth control.

Arizona House Bill 2625, authored by Majority Whip Debbie Lesko, R-Glendale, would permit employers to ask their employees for proof of medical prescription if they seek contraceptives for non-reproductive purposes, such as hormone control or acne treatment.

“I believe we live in America. We don’t live in the Soviet Union,” Lesko said. “So, government should not be telling the organizations or mom and pop employers to do something against their moral beliefs.”

Perhaps the most idiotic element of this bill is the fact that providing contraception coverage is a hell of a lot cheaper than maternity leave.

Are there small employers out there who would actually fire someone based on a “moral” objection to birth control? Maybe. That doesn’t mean we should enable them to do so.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in War On Women and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Username1016

    Isn’t contraception USUALLY sought for non-reproductive purposes? I mean, hello, if I wanted to reproduce, I wouldn’t buy any :-)

    I believe we live in America. We don’t live in the Soviet Union. Are You Taking Birth Control?! TELL ME!!!!!

  • Draxiar

    Yeesh…for people claiming to love the Constitution and American Values so much they seem to be wiping their ass with both.

    I think the recent acts of the GOTP that are this extreme are simply the arm waving of a subculture teetering on the cliff of its extinction.

      “I think the recent acts of the GOTP that are this extreme are simply the arm waving of a subculture teetering on the cliff of its extinction.”

      QFT.

    “I believe we live in America. We don’t live in the Soviet Union”

    No, we don’t. But a Soviet-style government will be preferable if Frothy Santorum stumbles into a nomination. I am deeply concerned that he could win. The people who would vote for him don’t give a shit how stupid he sounds, how mean he is, or how utterly clueless he is on any range of subjects.

    They preach anti-big government. But truly, have you ever heard of the level of invasiveness these people are talking about? No, this is not the Soviet Union. But if some people have their way, it might be worse.

      Oh, it’s definitely worse…it’s akin to the Taliban IMHO. And I live in AZ.

  • Ned F

    So much for small government. And fiscal responsibility considering the cost of lawsuits that are sure to follow.

  • Zen Diesel

    Wow, I am a loss for words. Memo to self, add Arizona to the list of states that needs to secede from the union.

    • MauryF

      The heck with seceding, the rest of us need to start kicking them out!

        Not until I can move, dammit!

  • nellcote

    OT Check out Arianna Huffington’s RatFuck Manifesto:

    “At HuffPost, our plan for 2012 is to vigorously cover both tracks of the election. Which is to say that while we are exhaustively covering the race between President Obama and the Republican nominee, we’re also going to be covering that second track: Obama vs. Obama. And we’ll be covering it in a variety of ways: by comparing the reality of President Obama with the rhetoric of Candidate Obama; by focusing on real underlying problems in the country that are being temporarily masked by a slight improvement in the unemployment numbers; and by using satire.” . . .

    “To that end, HuffPost has commissioned a series of videos that will try to call attention to the contradictions found in the Obama vs Obama contest.”

      With friends like this….

  • http://openid.aol.com/steve8489 steve

    She thinks there’s still a Soviet Union?

  • Miranda

    next they’ll introduce a bill to ban women from working on their “unclean” days.

    • http://twitter.com/allysaurustex Allison

      fine with me. i’m not very productive on those days without my birth control anyway.

  • Chachizel

    WTF??!! What’s wrong with these people? Do they not have sex at all? Maybe they wouldn’t be so fuc*in’ out of their minds if they got laid every now and then. Crazy!

      Believe me, the more uptight they are, the more they f*ck around. I’m getting my burqa dry cleaned and ready.

  • agrazingmoose

    If you are curious as to who could support such a thing, just wander over to the Divorce section of HP.

    Are there small employers out there who would actually fire someone based on a “moral” objection to birth control?

    This state is chock full of uptight Mormons, evangelical Christians and social conservatives who like to pretend their Libertarians. So, yes, there will be plenty of these aholes. In addition to this atrocious bill (HB2625) there is another related one that has already passed the Senate (SB #1359). I wrote a blog post about HB2625 AND a blog post about the related bill SB1359 that allows doctors to lie to their pregnant patients and families but also protects the doctor from being sued in such a case AND started a petition about SB1359 AND wrote to all of the AZ House leaders in both parties (text of emails and email addresses sent to are on my blog) AND wrote to the Arizona Medical Association, see their response here AND signed a petition by azdem.org on HB2625.

    What’s wrong with Arizona? It’s full of religious zealots and/or glibertarians and the moderates and independents are too stupid and/or complacent to stand up to this kind of bullcrap. And liberals like me can’t wait to get the hell out of Dodge.

    The saddest part of all is that all this action will probably mean nothing at all. The GOP so dominates the state legislature that we might as well not have any Dems in office.

  • D_C_Wilson

    1. This law would be a massive violation of HIPPA, the federal law that protects patient privacy.

    2. When did “religious freedom” come to mean “forcing everyone else to live by the precepts of my beliefs”?

    3. This proposed law really exposes the major flaw in a system in which most people are dependent on their employers for their health coverage. There’s a reason why virtually no other country has adopted this model.

  • Brutlyhonest

    Majority Whip Debbie Lesko, R-Glendale

    DEBBIE! Not Donny or Billy or some other asshat man