Winning Them Over

If Santorum got his act together it’s possible he could emerge as the nominee, but as always he takes one step forward by winning a couple primaries and then takes two steps back by saying something incredibly insensitive.

For some reason he chose to begin his Puerto Rican campaign by telling them to learn English before applying for statehood.

(Reuters) – Republican presidential hopeful Rick Santorum told Puerto Ricans on Wednesday they would have to make English their primary language if they want to pursue U.S. statehood, a statement at odds with the U.S. Constitution.

Santorum traveled to the U.S. territory to campaign ahead of the island’s Republican primary election scheduled for Sunday, where he, Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich are vying for 20 delegates.

Puerto Ricans, who recognize both English and Spanish as their official languages, are scheduled to vote in November on a referendum to decide whether they want to pursue statehood or remain a self-governing U.S. commonwealth.

Rick Santorum is the best campaigner Mitt Romney could hope for right now.

    Ashby, we have wondered and discussed who handles Romney to try and prevent him from saying the stupid shit that he says. I am convinced that no one handles Frothy. He won’t be handled, he doesn’t listen, and he does what he wants. If the American people haven’t figured it out by now, this is the meanest, most arrogant, most insensitive and narrow minded son of a bitch in American politics. Seriously, how much more proof do we need?

    • Not Sayin

      I personally would like to punch him square in the face but he might throw a fetus at me.

  • morningsky

    Last time I arrived in Puerto Rico I had been out of the USA for 5 months. Not very long but long enough. The US Customs Officer looked at me and said “You have been away a long time. What do you do.” I said I am an executive sales man and have been in Brazil for the past 5 months and was in Puerto Rico for a conference. He said “Welcome Home”. Two words that mean a lot. Walgreens on the corner with everything possible in the store except for the kitchen sink. People that stop at a cross walk to allow you to cross. I knew it was not the mainland but it sure felt like home. Thank you Puerto Rico for a great week and a great welcome home to the USA!

    • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

      I used to work for a Walgreens call center and took an outsize percentage of calls from Puerto Rico. Apparently we were just about the only prescription mail order outfit that shipped there.

  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    Is this going to make more Puerto Ricans angry at him than Louisianans happy with him? Because that’s the calculus. Making a big deal about this might actually endear him to people in Missouri, so by all means let’s make a big deal about it.

      Hmmm, never thought of it like that.

    • D_C_Wilson

      That’s probably his calculation in a nutshell.

    • Brutlyhonest

      He only gives a shit about the people voting in the republican primary in PR. He wants their delegates and who thinks the people voting republican there don’t agree with frothy?

  • Not Sayin

    I think Obama could campaign Santorum into oblivion if he had to. Moderate voters aren’t going to step up for old Frothy.