Wolverines!!!!

Via John Cole, Mitt Romney and the Republicans think we’re still fighting the Soviet Union.

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev tweaked Mitt Romney for his characterization of Russia as the “No. 1 geopolitical foe” of the United States, saying the comments did not reflect the current relationship between the two countries.

“It is very reminiscent of Hollywood and also of a certain phase in Russian-U.S. relations,” Medvedev said at the end of the nuclear security summit in South Korea Tuesday.

Romney made the comment to CNN’s Wolf Blitzer on Monday while criticizing President Barack Obama over his open mic moment a day earlier.

“In terms of a geopolitical foe, a nation that’s on the Security Council, and as of course a massive nuclear power, Russia is the geopolitical foe,” Romney said on CNN’s “The Situation Room.” “The idea that our president is planning on doing something with them that he’s not willing to tell the American people before the election is something I find very, very alarming.”

Medvedev urged Romney to take the current climate into account if he hopes to win the presidential election.

“My first advice is to listen to reason when they formulate their positions. Reason never harmed a presidential candidate,” Medvedev said. “My other advice is to check their watches from time to time: it is 2012, not the mid-1970s.”

The Republican Party: Boys! Avenge me! Avenge me!

  • http://twitter.com/GodIsDead Gern Blandston

    “My other advice is to check their watches from time to time.”

    For. The. Win. #OhThoseWittyRusskies

  • http://twitter.com/YQRosie Stephen LaRose

    This has me thinking … whatever happened to that Red Dawn reboot that was supposed to have come out in 2011? Where the bad guys were first supposed to be Chinese, then North Korean (because the movie studio had a lot of Chinese investment …)

  • Draxiar

    “My first advice is to listen to reason when they formulate their positions. Reason never harmed a presidential candidate,”

    I wonder if Medvedev has seen the GOP lately…

      I think he has and I think that’s precisely why he made that statement (he is implying that the religiosity and naivete of the base GOP is not rational and he is spot on).

  • Claude Weaver

    Didn’t The Almighty Reagan end the Cold War and put those Commies in their place? Practically tore down the Berlin wall with his dentures, didn’t he?

    So Romney not only managed to insult Russia, but pretty much dismissed one of the big defining moments for the patron saint of neo-conservatives, all for a half-assed jab at Obama.

    Keep it up, Romney! You’re doing great!

    To me, Romney’s statement was much too much like Condoleeza Rice’s and Pres. Bush’s focus on Russia while ignoring the obvious Al Qaeda threat presented on a silver platter by Bill Clinton. We can’t afford to take our focus off of the real threats–Russia isn’t one of them and hasn’t been for a long time.

  • muselet

    Remember, the Republican Party is the one to trust with foreign policy! They’re the grown-up party!

    Oy.

    –alopecia