A Wink and a Nod

Apparently “I take him at his word” is not just something politicians say off the cuff. It’s a prepared talking point.

An aide to Missouri Republican gubernatorial candidate Dave Spence accidentally emailed talking points prepared for Spence in the case of him being asked if President Obama is a Muslim following his recent gaffe, and the prepared response is “I take him at his word.”

“This is not an issue that I felt was pertinent to my candidacy for governor and expressed those sentiments. However, if the media insists that this is a critical issue that must be addressed, I will be clear. President Obama says he is a Christian, and I take him at his word.”

Right. If the media insists that I do so, I will serve a wink and a nod to my base of support.

“I take him at his word” falls within the realm of plausible deniability as it can also be read as “he says he’s a Christian, but he may be lying.”

Given that the obvious response to the question of whether or not the president is a Muslim is “No,” the nuance involved in these prepared remarks proves that they’re trying to skate a fine line between affirmation and denial. Because when you’re running for office, you can’t risk offending the lunatic base, right?

This wouldn’t be a thing if the president were white. We wouldn’t even be discussing this.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Racism and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

    Dave Spence says he’s not a child pornographer, and I take him at his word.

  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    This is what must happen: every Republican must be asked “is the president a Christian?” That’s it — a simple question of fact, not opinion. The only acceptable answer is “yes.” Anything else means the Republican has to wear a hat shaped like an ass with the word “DUMB” on it.

  • D_C_Wilson

    Want to watch republicans really squirm? Ask them if Romney is a “real” Christian.

      Hehe, laughing at the thought of all the hemming and hawing that would result

    “This wouldn’t be a thing if the president were white. We wouldn’t even be discussing this.”

    110% agree