Abstinence Education Doesn't Work

The latest teen pregnancy numbers from the CDC:

The number of teen births in the U.S. dropped again in 2010, according to a government report, with nearly every state seeing a decrease. Nationally, the rate fell 9 percent to about 34 per 1,000 girls ages 15 through 19, and the drop was seen among all racial and ethnic groups. Mississippi continues to have the highest teen birth rate, with 55 births per 1,000 girls. New Hampshire has the lowest rate at just under 16 percent.

And like Mississippi, the states with the highest rates of teen pregnancy are the states that highlight abstinence over other birth control methods. Meanwhile, those are the states with the most restrictive anti-contraception and anti-abortion laws. I wonder what’s going to happen with all of those unplanned pregnancies. Tragic.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Sex and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • atlavely

    Quick req for correction NH rate is 16 per thousand, not 16 percent, which would be 160 per thousand. Which doesn’t change the message. Thanks.

  • Buffalodavid

    This brings up that old Perry idea (Joke) that “Abstinence works.” Well, if your practicing it, I guess it does.

    But as an education policy, not so much.

    • D_C_Wilson

      In the wingnut mind, abstinence education works. It’s just that their goal is not to reduce unplanned pregnancies. It’s stigmatize women who actually like to have sex.

  • BuffaloBuckeye

    “I wonder what’s going to happen with all of those unplanned pregnancies.”

    Perhaps those that designed/implemented those restrictive laws should have been just as reflective. Or they just don’t give a shit.

    • D_C_Wilson

      They reflected and decided that those “dirty sluts” should get what they deserve.

      You can’t expect them to give a shit about those unplanned pregnancies when they think they’re a just punishment for having sex.

        Which is what Genesis says childbirth is supposed to be, punishment for Original Sin. So it makes perfect sense to these supposed Christians.