Heather Wilson is Very Concerned…

…about the rights of bullies.

Republican senate candidate Heather Wilson has a problem with the Student Non-Discrimination Act, which was sponsored by Senator Al Franken, because she believes it’s “wrong” to prohibit children from expressing their opinions, no matter how uninformed or immature those opinions on, on homosexuality.

WILSON: I mean if somebody gets bullied for having, gosh a low voice — that’s never happened to me. … But I think one of the things why I don’t support the act is because I think it’s misplaced. They are things I’m willing to tolerate that I’m not willing to approve.

With respect to this particular agenda we have to recognize as parents that children tease each other because you’re short or you’re tall or you’re a redhead or because you’re ugly or because you’re smart or because you’re dumb or all kinds of differences and as parents we have to deal with that and strengthen our children to be comfortable with themselves and also to show empathy and acceptance towards others, but that particular act is so broad it would actually punish children and say that it’s prohibited to express an opinion with respect to homosexuality in the schools. I just think that’s wrong and it’s a violation of the First Amendment.

Heather Wilson is outraged –outraged!– that we would consider prohibiting children from exercising their “First Amendment [right]” to bully homosexuals to the point that they commit suicide.

That’s what happened this past week. Another gay teenager killed himself because, after he decided to come-out as a homosexual, his friends abandoned him and drove him to suicide. But Heather Wilson thinks it’s the rights of the bullies that need to be protected, not the right of the victim to not be psychologically tortured to the point that they kill themselves.

Coincidentally, Heather Wilson was a topic of discussion on today’s After Party, which I would recommend listening to if you want to hear a clip of Wilson crying over Janet Jackson’s nipple.

Janet Jackson’s nipple will drive Heather Wilson to tears, but bullying gay teens to suicide is something that needs to be protected.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in LGBT and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    Note how right wingers cast their bullying and freedom-hating as a “freedom movement.”

  • Corebela

    I really need to stop reading the comments of articles like the one you linked of the boy who killed himself recently.

  • muselet

    Compare and contrast (definitions from New Oxford American Dictionary):

    bul•ly |ˈboŏlē|
    noun (pl. -lies)
    a person who uses strength or power to harm or intimidate those who are weaker.

    verb (-lies, -lied) [trans.]
    use superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force him or her to do what one wants …

    versus:

    tease |tēz|
    verb [ trans. ]
    make fun of or attempt to provoke (a person or animal) in a playful way …

    “When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.”
    –Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

    What a depressingly stupid woman.

    –alopecia

  • JackLinks

    Is Heather Wilson one of Virginia Foxx’s evil spawns? Good God Wilson’s just as ugly as Foxx!
    http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/hrc-blasts-gop-senate-hopeful-who-mocks-bullying-bill-as-unconstitutional/politics/2012/04/20/38284

  • http://pulse.yahoo.com/_WLHOKY6MFJ6MVKNZZHKMIJZ7AQ Ginny Troubadour

    People should be free to stigmatize others.

    Wait. WAT?

  • Victor_the_Crab

    Heather Wilson is in need of a good dose of bullying for those sickening comments of hers.

  • http://twitter.com/al2o3cr Matt Jones

    I’m sure Ms. Wilson has a solid Biblical foundation for her hate-mongering – must be in the special pages they only give conservatives, where Jeebus reminds the disciples that he was just kidding about the whole “caring for the poor” bit and then beats up some gay people… ;)

    • KingCranky

      People like Wilson probably skipped every part of the bible between the Old Testament and Revelations, especially Matthew 23, a screed perfectly fitting present-day, and past, religious hypocrites.

      For Wilson, the New Testament is so passe & outdated.

  • Sidney18511

    Religious bigotry…It’s not that I hate everyone who doesn’t look, think and act like me….it’s just that Jesus and god does.