Indolent and Unproductive

Over the weekend MSNBC’s Chris Hayes aired a video of Mitt Romney from January of this year wherein he implied that single mothers on welfare should have to work in exchange for that welfare, because they need to learn the “dignity of work.” The obvious conclusion being that stay-at-home moms don’t know what work is. You know, moms like Ann Romney.

Today ThinkProgress has highlighted a passage from Romney’s book, No Apology, The Case for American Greatness, wherein he says the children of stay-at-home parents become indolent and unproductive, furthering the idea that single mothers on welfare should be required to work.

In other words, lazy and shiftless.

In some quarters, however, the American work ethic is waning. Some people devote themselves to find ways not to work. Some seem to take a perverse kind of pride in being slipshod or lackadaisical. In many cases, where our work culture has deteriorated, shortsighted government policies share a good part of the blame.

Welfare without work erodes the spirit and the sense of self-worth of the recipient. And it conditions the children of nonworking parents to an indolent and unproductive life. Hardworking parents raise hardworking kids; we should recognize that the opposite is also true. The influence of the work habits of our parents and other adults around us as we grow up has lasting impact.

Does this mean Romney’s children became indolent and unproductive because their mother stayed at home and their father sat in a conference room and fired people for a living?

I don’t know, but they do fit the equation Mitt Romney has laid out.

Given what we now know of the Romneys, I believe a better title for Romney’s book would be — No Apology, The Case for Being a Privileged White Man.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in War On Women and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Cynicor

    I am starting not to like Mitt Romney all that much.

    • Run2Live

      Starting?? Welcome to the party!

    • JackDaniel07

      He has an App for that

  • Draxiar

    I feel fucking sorry for people that think this way. How cynical and miserable do you have to feel about the human race to believe that because there is a very small minority of people that abuse the system (which pisses me off actually) that everyone part of that system is an abuser?

    The paranoia of this perception is staggeringly obtuse and laced with unimaginable fear. It’s incredibly unfair to the vast majority of people that really are trying to dig themselves out of the hole that people like Romney and his ilk shoved them into.

    Most don’t want to be on Welfare…what they want is a chance in the “land of opportunity”. Yet they are tossed into the salad of being lazy and shiftless wanting to live off other people’s money by people that don’t have a fucking clue.

    • JMAshby

      It’s primarily a cover for racism. It’s convenient.

    That is ridiculous. By the logic Romney and his friends have been employing for the past week, there is literally no such thing as a non-hardworking parent.

  • trgahan

    Would Mr. Romney like to comment on the non-partisan productivity studies that, when broken out, show white male productivity has steadily declined since the 1970’s?